Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upgrade ASA 5512-X Firewall

Adam Handley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to firstly upload the new asa951-smp-k8 firmware into the firewall flash so i can upgrade the ASA. My issue is that it fails before it can finish uploading into the flash. I have tried this via TFTP and via the current ASDM but it looks like it reboots the firewall. I lose access to it for around 4 minutes and this includes time outs on Ping.

There is ample room in the flash for the file so capacity is not an issue. It fails once it starts writing to flash.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco changed the block sotrage format along the way - that is why you have to do the intermediate step. (Although I've not seen the failure cause an ASA reload in my experience.)

The Release Notes do indicate that they recommend moving to an intermediate release before upgrading to 9.5. Reference.

They did mistakenly drop the "or ealier" comment they used to have in the release notes when this requirement was introduced in ASA 9.1(3). Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/release/notes/asarn91.html#pgfId-763574

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

There might be som issues with flash.  try running the command fsck flash:  and once it completes try uploading the image again.  Although this file system check should not cause any network outage while it runs, I suggest doing this during a scheduled service window.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Sorry for the late reply. 

The answer was the upgrade path. I had to go from 8.1 to 8.2 before upgrading to 9.5. Would be nice if the ASA told me that instead of just restarting :). 

Thanks

Adam

Cisco changed the block sotrage format along the way - that is why you have to do the intermediate step. (Although I've not seen the failure cause an ASA reload in my experience.)

The Release Notes do indicate that they recommend moving to an intermediate release before upgrading to 9.5. Reference.

They did mistakenly drop the "or ealier" comment they used to have in the release notes when this requirement was introduced in ASA 9.1(3). Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/release/notes/asarn91.html#pgfId-763574

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card