cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upgrade FTD from 6.4 to 7.0.1 because Snort version

paynewj
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to upgrade our Cisco Firepower 2110 appliance to FTD v7.0.1 (we're currently running FTD 6.4.0.9)

When I run the Readiness Check, it fails and points me to a log that has the following message:

Tailing /ngfw/var/log/sf/Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP2K_Upgrade-7.0.1/upgrade_readiness/upgrade_readiness.log ...
****************** FAILURE SCRIPT: 1 ***********************************
[211202 16:44:53:561]
SCRIPT NAME: 200_pre/006_check_snort.sh
RECOVERY MESSAGE: Snort minimum version required for upgrade: 2.9.18. Device is running: 2.9.14.9. Deploy configurations to the device and try again.

I downloaded the latest Snort rule version (2021-12-01-001-vrt) and I redeployed to the appliance, but I get the same error. After deploying the updated rules I saw that the Snort version was still 2.9.14 (Build 15906 - daq9). I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to update the Snort version. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

6.4.0.9 to 7.0.1 is confirmed as a supported direct upgrade path:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/70/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-700/upgrade.html#Cisco_Reference.dita_581de4ac-7110-4633-bb1e-8369b85b3181

Since it is and you have done the obvious remediation step of ensuring you have current SRU, it looks like you may be hitting some sort of bug. I would suggest opening a TAC case to get it sorted out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

6.4.0.9 to 7.0.1 is confirmed as a supported direct upgrade path:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/70/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-700/upgrade.html#Cisco_Reference.dita_581de4ac-7110-4633-bb1e-8369b85b3181

Since it is and you have done the obvious remediation step of ensuring you have current SRU, it looks like you may be hitting some sort of bug. I would suggest opening a TAC case to get it sorted out.

Thanks for the reply, Marvin. I thought that might be the issue. A TAC case has been opened.

Hi,

Would you please send the result here.

I saw same errors.

Best Regards.

serdar.nazli
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem too. But I realized that I didn't deploy after upgrading the FMC to 7.0.1. I deployed upgraded version to the FTDs then tried to upgrade the FTDs. They works!

Thanks for the reply, this was my issue to the T!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card