Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 5545x from ASA w/Firepower to FTD

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has the same issue as me.  I have upgrade my 5545x from ASA w/Firepower Services to an FTD.  I only have a BASE license for this unit, but I am unable to deploy any policies to it.  There is a warning saying I need a THREAT license but I cannot remove the DNS policy.

So at this point I am stuck.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan.

4 Replies 4

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

The concept of licenses has changed from firepower module to FTD.

Firepower module used classic licenses but FTD uses smart licenses. So you do need base + threat license at least to use basic threat services like SI and intrusion policies.

If you have already migrated the licenses to smart licenses, make sure its there in your smart account at https://software.cisco.com/#module/SmartLicensing

If the threat license is there and FMC is registered with smart license account, just enable the threat license at device settings in FTD which should take care of issue.

Hope that helps,

yogesh

Thats the issue.  I did convert my licenses to smart licenses.  When I did that I only got a BASE license for FTD.  In FMC you cannot deploy a policy without selecting a dns policy.  You need  THREAT license to deploy a policy.

I have contacted TAC and Licensing and they both say I don't get a THREAT license with the conversion. 

So now my only choice is to downgrade?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All FTD devices require the Threat license at a minimum.

Any ASA Firepower service module licenses that you may have had previously do not convey and are not eligible for conversion to FTD licenses.

You must also use Smart Licenses with FTD. You can activate a 90 day free trial license but you will need to have the paid license sooner or later.

I guess the confusion comes in because my 5545x BASE license was converted by the licensing system.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card