Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ASA over VPN via inside interface

velo84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to upgrade a Cisco ASA over an IPSEC VPN tunnel. My FTP server is on the remote side of the VPN tunnel but I am initiating connections from the inside interface of the firewall. I am currently managing the Firewall over the VPN via it's inside interface (using the management-access inside) command. When I try and update via FTP, the connection is going straight out the outside interface (and not across the VPN tunnel)

I have tried upgrading via TFTP but it keeps stopping randomly with (unspecified error) I normally upgrade via FTP though but it's not working in this instance.

Essentially what I am asking, is is there an equivalent command for FTP that there is for TFTP: tftp-server interface ip anyconnect

I need the connections to originate from the inside interface so they traverse the VPN. I am running 7.2.3

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I havent tested this myself other than in L2L VPN situations but would there be a possibility to add the actual VPN endpoint pubpic IP address in the VPN Client configurations and with that enable yourself to transfer files through the VPN Client connection?

Other options I would think would be

• Simply using a host on the LAN for the update process. Both loading the image to the LAN computer and from there to the actual ASA
  • Host the file somewhere on the public network though I guess you would do this if you had a chance to host a publicly reachable server at your location? Could there be a chance to use a temporary portforward configuration at your local site to enable transfers?

I might be able to lab this at some point.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, I do have the option of putting it on a public FTP server but I was looking at ways to do it over the VPN.

I will do some testing.

Thank you

Mark

Dan Mullendore
Level 1
Level 1

From the remote firewall, to specify the source interface, try this: 

copy tftp://1.1.1.1/filename.bin;int=inside flash:

Here is where I got this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa70/command/reference/cref_txt/c.html#wp1970383

I know this is an old post, but this command does work. I was pulling my hair out trying to ftp new images to my ASAs over site-to-site VPNs; this did the trick! Thank you Dan Mullendore!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card