Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade multiple FTD at the same time

TobiasHilbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible / recommended to upgrade multiple FTD devices managed by a FMC at the same time?

At the moment I update one FTD HA Pair after another. But with 4+ HA pairs i am hitting the boundaries of my assigned maintenance window.

kind regards

Tobias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HA pairs update with zero downtime - each unit in a given pair updates while in Standby role. Roles switch and then the new Standby updates. So there's no reason why you can't update them all at once.

You can also push the software in advance of starting your maintenance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco Advised bestway to upgrade with out causing any issue, that is the good approach. So we need to cosider here RISK vs Stability.

Because of the time we do not messup working setup to disaster right. if you have downtime agreed, you can speed up the upgrade process rather waiing.

most best approach people do not get downtime, so they upgrade 1 at a time so you have stable network while other upgrading take place.

this is my views.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HA pairs update with zero downtime - each unit in a given pair updates while in Standby role. Roles switch and then the new Standby updates. So there's no reason why you can't update them all at once.

You can also push the software in advance of starting your maintenance.

Hi,

I am not worried about possible downtime concerning the HA Pair upgrade. That worked alway flawlessly.

I just did not upgrade multiple FTD Pairs at once.

But pushing the software in advance is a good idea.

Maybe i give it a try and start with updating two pairs in parallel.

Hopefully my FMCv will cope.

kind regard

Tobias

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card