cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade pix software

hussamchawa
Level 1
Level 1

i'd like to upgrade my pix 515 from 4.2 to 5.3 . How do i do that and how can i obtain an activation key. Thankx

4 Replies 4

jose.calvillo
Level 1
Level 1

1- Download the new OS from Cisco. (There is a step-by-step upgrade procedure with the new .bin file that is more detailed then what I am providing.)

2- Ensure your PIX515 has the necessary hardware (memory,etc) to handle 5.3. This info is in the readme file with 5.3.

3- Setup a TFTP server with the new 5.3bin file in it. You can download the cisco tftp server from cisco.com.

4- Backup your current config.

5- TFTP the new config to the PIX

6- Ensure the config was maintained. In most of my upgrades the config is not lost. There have been instances though where the old config is wiped out.

7- Enjoy 5.3

I did not think you could go from version 4.2 to 5.3. I was told you had to step your way up, is this not true?

rayshan
Level 1
Level 1

You should not need a new activation key unless you want to use IPSec or other new features but if you do contact your VAR and they can help you for a Fee of course.

You can access cisco web site to get a new activated key(showed your old key first) and followed by the step-by-step process to upgrade the system

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card