cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading licenses / feature set on ASA - Move to AnyConnect 4 client support

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ASA5520 that is currently running 9.1(5)19 and supporting the 3.x Anyconnect client. As part of moving towards the AnyConnect 4.0 client we are enabling the APEX keys. I acquired a new license / feature key through the license portal but when I applied it I received the following. It seems I need a reload to get everything active but just wanted to make sure I am reading everything right. It do not have 10G interfaces so was thinking this would be a non issue. When I look at the GUI - It looks like the previous key would go back to being active when we reload.  Am I missing something?

mem-asa(config)# activation-key 223ffb71 8c1de447 b430d16c 9af43458 c03a2b84
Validating activation key. This may take a few minutes...
The following features available in running permanent activation key are NOT
available in new permanent activation key:
10GE I/O
WARNING: The running activation key was not updated with the requested key.
Proceed with update flash activation key? [confirm]
The flash permanent activation key was updated with the requested key,
and will become active after the next reload.
mem-asa(config)#
mem-asa# wr
Building configuration...
Cryptochecksum: 348a7e2b a0fe6bc6 a61ad772 d1016593

182798 bytes copied in 3.390 secs (60932 bytes/sec)
[OK]
mem-asa#

5 Replies 5

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes to apply the license you need to reload the device.

Since you do not have a 10 Gig interface enabled on the ASA you can proceed with the activation.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

kdotten36
Level 3
Level 3

I'm in the exact same scenario.  I opened a TAC case and they told me to go ahead and do it since 10GE aren't supported on 5520, but I got the same thing you did where it forced a reload even though adding this feature isn't supposed to require one.  Did it work for you after the reload?  I haven't received the next response from TAC yet, just curious.

I will find out on Sunday. That is my maintenance window to reload the ASA and see what happens. My next step will be to see what I need to get the 4.x client working.

Brent

reload went just fine. Now I just need to see if the new client is usable. There does not appear to be anything different in my license details.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Great news. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card