Views
Helpful
Replies

Upload ASDM image over Console?

srijan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am provided with console access to ASA 5510 (v9.0). However, I am not close to the device and hence I am accessing it via Teamviewer. It is a Windows 10 Laptop that is consoled to the firewall. 

I am trying to identify on how to upload the ASDM image to the firewall. I have already downloaded the binary file to the laptop but wondering how to upload it to the firewall. Any guidance on this will be of great help. 

This device is not connected to the network and the only connection to it right now is on the console port that runs to the laptop. 

Thanks,

Srikanth

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes you configure an interface so you can tftp copy the asdm image from tftp server to asa.
This is the output from the copy tftp flash command:
copy tftp[:[[//location] [/tftp_pathname]]] [[flash/disk0][:[image | asdm]]]

example copy tftp://ip-address/asdm-771.bin disk0:/asdm-771.bin

Then in configure following in running config:
asdm image disk0:/asdm-771.bin

No need to reboot the device to test, you can see that the software is pointing on the correct image with show version.

The cli commands are at the end of the link I sent you.

br, Micke

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

I think you need to connect at least the laptop to the firewall and configure a network.
Then you can use tftp to download the image.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/200142-ASA-9-x-Upgrade-a-Software-Image-using.html#anc5

br, Micke

Hello Micke,

Thank you for your response. Please let me know if I have understood you correctly.

The only way is that I need to configure one of the interfaces of the firewall while I am connected to the console and connect a laptop to that configured interface (ensuring the laptop is configured with the interface IP as the gateway). Then, copy the ASDM image from the laptop to the Firewall using TFTP. 

The link you have shared shows steps to upgrade. But, here I am trying to copy the ASDM image to the firewall. Let me know if there are any link/document that details the steps. 

Thanks,

Sri

Hi,

Yes you configure an interface so you can tftp copy the asdm image from tftp server to asa.
This is the output from the copy tftp flash command:
copy tftp[:[[//location] [/tftp_pathname]]] [[flash/disk0][:[image | asdm]]]

example copy tftp://ip-address/asdm-771.bin disk0:/asdm-771.bin

Then in configure following in running config:
asdm image disk0:/asdm-771.bin

No need to reboot the device to test, you can see that the software is pointing on the correct image with show version.

The cli commands are at the end of the link I sent you.

br, Micke

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card