Views
Helpful
Replies

URL access using ASA firewall

Naren naren
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

Here is my  situation , one of our application  team needs to access the external (public)vendor database from internal database server using range of ports ex 5000 to 5050.

Application requirement is x.x.x.x.com and 5000 to 5050 needs to be allowed in the firewall to synk with the  external (public)vendor database.

Somehow i got few A-record ip's for  x.x.x.x.com but still  x.x.x.x.com is having many A-record. if i allow access in ASA, only for few ip's which i found in dnslookup, its working only for few hours or few mins or few day.

If i allow any ip with  5000 to 5050 ports its working everytime.

I understand the Concept x.x.x.x.com  may be loadbalaced using many ip's but is there any way in ASA firewall or any such device which can allow access for single url for range of ports ???

Please help me out...

REgards,

Naren

1 Reply 1

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Naren,

Unfortunately, there is no way to use a URL or domain name in an access list. You'll need to ask the vendor to provide you with a complete list of IP addresses that will be used by x.x.x.x.com. The only other solution would be to permit all IP addresses for the 5000 - 5050 port range, as you've already mentioned.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card