cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client not working at remote location

5511jxr1253
Level 1
Level 1

I installed the VPN client at my house and when I connect I loose my internet connection and I cannot access my Novell network from my house. I am using XP home and I am using cable modem with a router. I can ping the pix unit but cannot do anything else.

2 Replies 2

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

You will loose your Internet connection as all the traffic will be sent to the PIX over the encrypted tunnel, unless you configure split tunneling.

As for the Novell network, its using IP right? If so then ensure your internal devices know how to route back to the pool range you have configured on the PIX which is downloaded to the VPN client.

If your still stuck post up the PIX config, suitably edited!

Andy

joe.cornelson
Level 1
Level 1

If your configuration appears to be properly set up...client has correct vpngroup and password, etc.

The outside interface of the pix must be a public ip address. Is it?

If it isn't, the perimeter router will need to do nat so that traffic coming into the pix....hits the perimeter router and the nat will 'convert' the next hop ip from private to public address.

I worked for a company that had this issue. This scenario would hold true if a company had multiple sites and used a private ip addressing scheme.

Internally, the company used private ips that were natted, outside interface of pix 520 had private ip, and we needed to add a fairly new statement...a nat traversal command.

esp works with nat....but once natting then isakmp occurs....you can't do more natting. The industry either has or is close to a nat traversal standard.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction to resolving the problem. Of course I am presuming the vpn configuration is correct....except for a nat traversal issue....which may not be happening at all.

Cheers,

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: