cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the proper way to edit a PIX configuration

cisco501pix
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 501 with the 6.3.4 os. I had set up a logging host thusly: logging host inside 192.168.1.4

It was working fine but I needed to change the IP address of the logging host. I thought if I just entered the same command but with the new IP it would work as if it were edit but instead it just added the new command such that I wound up with two logging host commands but with different IP addresses.

Is it not possible to do a simple edit on a command? If not, is it possible to delete the command you want to change and then enter the new command in effect editing the original command. This is a simple case but I can visualize myself wanting to do more complex things in the future so I would like very much to know how to properly edit the configuration.

Thanks for any feedback.

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The effect you have observed depends greatly on the command you have entered. In the case of the logging command, you can have multiple such commands to allow you to log to two different servers. Therefore, when you add a new logging command in, it adds it to what is already there. On the other hand, a command like 'hostname' will result in the new command replacing the old one.

You have to think in terms of what makes sense in terms of what the command is doing. YOu cannot have more than one hostname so a new one will replace the old one. Similarly, you can log to multiple hosts, so a new logging command will be used in addition to what is already configured.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh.

Yes...that helps. Can you tell me how you can get rid (erase) of a particular command if you decide it is no longer needed or doing something you don't want it to do. I thought preceeding a command with no would do this but now I suspect that's like you described above and dependant on the context?

thanks

It kinda does depend on context...

For commands like the logging commands precede the entire command (including any IP addresses) with a 'no' e.g

no logging host inside 192.168.1.4

Doing the above will remove that specific instance of the command and leave everything else intact.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card