Views
Helpful
Replies

What type of NAT is this?

Taimur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got an ASA running v8.2 with 'nat control' disabled and having the below NAT configured:

nat (inside) 20 access-list Nat-XC
nat (inside) 19 access-list Svr-Access
nat (inside) 0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
global (outside) 20 x.y.z.240 netmask 255.255.255.240
global (outside) 20 x.y.z.241 netmask 255.255.255.240
global (outside) 20 x.y.z.242 netmask 255.255.255.240
global (outside) 19 x.y.z.243

I'm trying to figure out:

1. What exactly is 'nat(inside) 0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0' achieving?

2. Is that NAT exemption or identity NAT?

3. Are NAT IDs 19 and 20 getting ignored because of this line?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's been a while since I did 8.2 but -

1) It is identity NAT ie. it translates the IP to the same IP and it does it for all IPs. 

2) As above it is identity NAT. 

3) No they should not be ignored because they are examples of policy NAT and that takes precedence over identity NAT so if traffic matches the acls it should use those. 

All that that said like I say it has been a while so you may want or refer to the configuration guide which goes into a lot more detail to make sure I haven't got anything wrong -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/config.html

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's been a while since I did 8.2 but -

1) It is identity NAT ie. it translates the IP to the same IP and it does it for all IPs. 

2) As above it is identity NAT. 

3) No they should not be ignored because they are examples of policy NAT and that takes precedence over identity NAT so if traffic matches the acls it should use those. 

All that that said like I say it has been a while so you may want or refer to the configuration guide which goes into a lot more detail to make sure I haven't got anything wrong -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/config.html

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card