cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What version of Cisco VPN Client software works when connecting to a Cisco ASA 5506-X?

martini11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a ASA 5506-X. I have Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290 running on my Windows 7 Computer. I  would like to be able to connect to my 5506-X using the Cisco VPN Client Software with a designated .pcf file that contains the IP address of the outside interface of my 5506-X and an associated VPN username and password. Can I use this version of the VPN client to make a connection to my

ASA 5506-X as I have been able to do in the past with Cisco 506e hardware? If not what version of the VPN Client do I need to have and where can I download it from?

Thank you.

David.

3 Replies 3

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Cisco VPN client is EOL and no longer developed by Cisco. The last version that was released was the 5.0.7 version. Plus, this is not longer available for download on the Cisco download site. This should still work with the ASA5506-x hardware and ASA software with traditional IPsec remote access configuration.

Cisco has migrated it's remote access VPN solution to the Anyconnect Secure Mobility client (v4.4 is the latest). This works with all the new ASA hardware and software. Anyconnect does require the purchase of the Anyconnect Plus or Apex license is you need more than 2 concurrent users on the ASA.

Thank you.

In order to connect to the 5506 from my Windows 7 computer running Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290 do I need to configure the 5506 as a VPN server?

Is this accomplished via the Any Connect VPN Wizard in ASDM?

Can this also be configured using the vpnclient command line on the ASA or must it be done via the ASDM Any Connect VPN Wizard GUI?

Is there a how to guide on configuring this?

Thank you.

David.

You can use the IKEv1 Remote Access VPN Wizard to configure the VPN server on the ASA.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/asdm76/vpn/asdm-76-vpn-config/vpn-wizard.html#ID-2217-000000ef

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card