Views
Helpful
Replies

When will the ASA be EOL?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi guys

we have a few Cisco asa firewalls as they are great at vpn.

when will Cisco EOL the asa? And does the firepower device give you all the same options for vpn that the asa did?

cheers

4 Replies 4

You have to differentiate between the ASA hardware platform and the ASA software. The complete line of ASA hardware is EOL announced. If you are running the hardware you can search for "ASA model + EOL" and you'll find the EOL announcement.

The ASA software is a different thing. This is still under development and if you buy a new Firepower appliance, you still can run the ASA software on it. But from FTD version 6.7, at least I do not miss any of the VPN-features any more. It seems to be more or less feature complete. But you should look at the latest config guide if there is a feature missing that you need.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adding to another post - depends on model check below :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

yes FTD gives you all the features#(most) that ASA can do ( but managing with FDM vs FMC is differs)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For your own cisco device(s) , you can use : https://cway.cisco.com/sncheck/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

It appears there are still few limitations in FMC:

• Third-party standard IKEv2 clients are not supported
  • No built-in AnyConnect profile editor
  • SCEP proxy configuration not available in the GUI
  • AnyConnect Customization and Localization not available
  • Browser Proxy configuration unavailable in the GUI ("msie-proxy" in group-policy)
  • etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card