cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows FTP download to ASA, default password = root

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to set up a Windows 2003 server as an FTP server, and was able to transfer files.  However, I had to view the Windows FTP log to determine the default password was root@DallasRouter.   I can not find any documentation on this, and it's the first time I've seen "root" in the Cisco world.   Can anyone point me to a web site or help me understand this?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jimmyc,

On the ASA you can include the any userID as part of the ftp URL like this one below

KUSANKAR-ASA-5505# copy ftp://kusankar:kusankar@192.168.2.2/asa.txt flash:asa.tx                        t

Address or name of remote host [192.168.2.2]?

Source username [kusankar]?

Source password [kusankar]?

Source filename [asa.txt]?

Destination filename [asa.txt]?

Accessing ftp://kusankar:kusankar@192.168.2.2/asa.txt...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                        !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Writing file disk0:/asa.txt...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56097 bytes copied in 0.140 secs

KUSANKAR-ASA-5505#

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/command/reference/c4.html#wp2171368

-Kureli

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David White
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jimmyc,

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking why Windows 2003 FTP server uses "root@DallasRouter" as a default password?

In this case, I am assuming you are saving a file from the ASA to your Windows FTP server.  If so, you should be able to configure any username/password you wish on your FTP server.

Sincerely,

David.

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I don't think an ASA can be a FTP server but it can be a client indeed.

So the user:pass is for the server side , not  the client.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

I found out to FTP from an ASA to the Windows Server, you must create an account named "anonymous".  Then in the Windows FTP "site" that you create in the Windows Server, you list the username as "WindowsServerName\DallasRouter"  Then for the password, you list root@DallasRouter.  

Had to garner this information from the Windows Log files, and found zero documentation either on Cisco or MS web sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all FTP transfers from an ASA must be anonymous, since the ASA never prompts you for a username/password.

Jimmyc,

On the ASA you can include the any userID as part of the ftp URL like this one below

KUSANKAR-ASA-5505# copy ftp://kusankar:kusankar@192.168.2.2/asa.txt flash:asa.tx                        t

Address or name of remote host [192.168.2.2]?

Source username [kusankar]?

Source password [kusankar]?

Source filename [asa.txt]?

Destination filename [asa.txt]?

Accessing ftp://kusankar:kusankar@192.168.2.2/asa.txt...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                        !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Writing file disk0:/asa.txt...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56097 bytes copied in 0.140 secs

KUSANKAR-ASA-5505#

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/command/reference/c4.html#wp2171368

-Kureli

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card