I was playing around with SNMP one day and decided to find out if I could create a MS-DOS batch job using only a single batch file and a free SNMP command line tool from the Internets. Here's what I came up with. To get this to work you need the following:
1. Create a directory (ie, C:\BATCH\FINDMAC)
2. Place FINDMAC.CMD into directory from step #1 (save attachment as FINDMAC.CMD)
3. Create a file in directory from step #1 called sitelist.txt. This file should be a simple text file, comma-delimited, with two items per record. Neither item can have spaces. Item 1 should be a friendly name to identify a site or a distribution layer device. It's just something that you can easily remember. Item 2 is a FQDN or IP address of a seed device (typically, this would be a distribution switch on which one or more layer 3 neworks terminate).
4. Download SNMP command line tools from net-snmp.org and install into the path (or modify the script to point to the correct location for the SNMPGET and SNMPWALK programs)
5. Open a DOS window, navigate to the directory from step #2 and type "findmac.cmd <sitename> <macaddress>" where <sitename> matches a site from sitelist.txt and <macaddress> is a mac address in the format xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
This process works great for me on a Windows 7 workstation. I can quickly locate the access port for any MAC address at our HQ or any of our branch locations. Our environment has 7Ks, 5Ks, 6500s, 3750s, and 3550s.
Hi, I have two FTP servers that are used for Azure Pipelines. First is working on default port number 21 and it's working fine without any issues. I don't even have to forward port range for data conection (I had to do it on old CISCO 2901 route...
Good evening everyone and thanks for joining this post.I was about to explore in Packet Tracer lab the EIGRP protocol, since I'm deep diving in it in these days. I've created a topology with 8 networks and while I was connecting some of the routers, ...
Hi I have an RV340 router dual WAN input. WAN 1 is 4G Archer router and WAN 2 is a BT fixed line. The network is frequently lost, it goes every 20 days or so and it locks WAN 1 completely. We have now installed a Powerbar to autoping...
Hi all ,I am newbie learning networking I have more than 40 switches using PVST and make core-switch as ROOTSo, how can I verify STP status to make sure no any "loop" on my network guide me please. because sometimes when reboot...