Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
brettp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm sorry, but I simply can not find a clear answer to my question beyond pages and pages of Cisco marketing lingo. I understand with some products, for instance Catalyst 9000 series switches, a Cisco DNA subscription license is required. We currently do not use Cisco DNA Center so my question is, what is the point of requiring the DNA subscription license? What benefit does it give me if I am not using DNA Center? Is the sole purpose for software upgrades (which SmartNet could just as well give me) or is there an actual feature or service that is accessible with the license? That is like the most basic question but I can not find the answer! Thanks!

Comments
Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@brettp wrote:
Is the sole purpose for software upgrades (which SmartNet could just as well give me) or is there an actual feature or service that is accessible with the license?

All Catalyst 9k switches have free software upgrades. 

Cisco Catalyst IOS Software Update Program for Cisco Catalyst 9200/X, 9300/X, 9400/X, 9500/X and 9600/X Series Switches

The purpose to make the Cisco DNA Subscription License a separate line item is to "encourage" customers to ask "what is DNA".  

brettp
Level 1
Level 1

Apparently, the DNA license is required as not only do you get some negligible features, it is apparently necessary for actual useful features on the switch -- or so I am told by our Cisco reseller rep (for instance, the DNA Advantage license unlocks the perpetual Network Advantage License which is basically essential if you're actually going to use the hardware you're buying.) Hmm, Cisco hardware is gear and reliable, but the licensing gets more and more flaky every year.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@brettp wrote:
the DNA license is required as not only do you get some negligible features, it is apparently necessary for actual useful features on the switch

The dealer is confused.  That is what Cisco's Licensing is designed to do.   

• Network License (Network Essentials, Network Advantage) are for "network" features. 
  • DNAC Licenses (DNA Essentials, DNA Advantage and DNA Premium) are good if there is a DNAC appliance.

For those who do not have DNAC appliance, get the DNAC Essentials.  

1. Cisco DNA Software Subscription Matrix for Switching
  2. Compare Cisco DNA Software licensing tiers

#2 "summarizes" about the new DNAC Premium license

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: