cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
TCC_2
Level 10
Level 10

Core issue

In a network consisting of multiple Catalyst switches running similar configuration, an administrator normally has to access (console or Telnet) each switch individually and apply all the required configuration changes, which consumes time.

Non-modular switches such as 2950, 3550, 3560, 3750 that run Cisco IOS  system software use the default file name config.text for the startup configuration while booting.

Resolution

To change the configurations on multiple switches easily, consider these two options:

1. Rename the config.text file, by issuing the rename flash:config.text flash:config.old command.

2. Create another config.text file with the required changes, then TFTP the tftp:config.text flash: file to the switch, issuing the copy command. Reload the switch. This makes the switch boot with the new configuration (config.text) as the default configuration file.

Note: If the IP address is configured, be careful to avoid duplicate IP addresses in the same network. You must configure unique IP addresses, accessing individual switch by Telnet or console.

For more information, refer to Working with Configuration Files on the Switches running IOS code.

Alternatively, Cisco Network Assistant (CNA) is an application that manages stand alone devices and clusters of devices from anywhere in your intranet. Using its Graphical User Interface (GUI), you can perform multiple configuration tasks without using Command Line Interface (CLI) commands. You can apply actions to multiple devices and ports at the same time for VLAN and QoS settings, inventory and statistics reports, link and device monitoring, software upgrades, and many other networking features. You can manage switches, routers, Access Points, PIX firewalls, as well as view IP phones.

Network Assistant simplifies cluster management by offering an intuitive GUI and alternative modes for configuring network devices.

For configuring using CNA, refer to Network Assistant Features.

Comments
khairul1889
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I need help, I need managed and configure more than 80 Cisco devices. The plan is to add new lines for hardening the Cisco devices and basically all configuration will be the same. My question is does the Cisco Network Assistant can do that which mean I need load configuration in all device in one time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: