Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
kunihiko.fujii
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please advise how "vlan-id dot1q" command works?

According to the Command lookup tool, it says "This command allows you to enable IEEE 802.1Q VLAN encapsulation for a  specific VLAN on an Ethernet interface without associating the VLAN with  a subinterface."

Does this mean when I configure "vlan-id dot1q (vlan-id)" on a Ethernet interface, frame sent out the interface wil be tagged with specified vlan-id?

Also I want to know how router in other end should be configured as dot1q trunk.

I did test this command using configuration below, but it did not work (cannot ping each other)

Assume Router1 Fa0/1 is directly connected to Router2 Fa0/1

Router1

interface Fastethernet 0/1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

speed 100

duplex full

vlan-id dot1q 55

Router2

interface Fastethernet0/1

speed 100

duplex full

!

interface Fastethernet0/1.55

encapsulation dot1q 55

ip address 192.168.1.2. 255.255.255.252

!

Thanks!

Comments
ubuntuer0424
Level 1
Level 1

according the command line tool,i think the words "specific" is important! This means some services in a VLAN,eg.pppoe and brigde-group not be configured on a single subinterface,that is so inneccesary.This VLAN is so called "specific".Now vlan-id command can direct to tagging a vlan in main interface mode .Is it convienent?

Iloveyou
Level 1
Level 1

I dont understand the comment above

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

• In the router subinterface mode, we can link the VLAN ID to this interface as well as assign it an ip address and a subnet mask.
  •  Use the encapsulation dot1q vlan_id command in subinterface configuration mode to enable 802.1Q and associate one specific VLAN with the subinterface.
  • Each subinterface configuration lists two subcommands. One command (encapsulation) enables trunking and defines the VLAN whose frames are considered to be coming in and out of the subinterface.
  • The ip address command works the same way it does on any other interface.

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Iloveyou
Level 1
Level 1

This means some services in a VLAN,eg.pppoe and brigde-group not be configured on a single subinterface,that is so inneccesary.

I don't understand this sentences 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: