cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying settings to new network

muaven
Level 1
Level 1

How can I copy my blacklist & whitelist to a new network? I added a new network when I changed ISPs, and when I added it I chose "settings:'old network'", But none of the settings transferred to the new network, it just set it up w/default 'web content filtering'.

I see how you can transfer the 'filtering level', but how do you transfer the 'individual domains'?

9 Replies 9

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

There is no feature to copy settings from one network to another. But there is no need to create a new network when changing the ISP either.

muaven
Level 1
Level 1

How do you change the IP address on the old network?

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

There are three methods:
(You must enable dynamic IP updates first.)
1. Manually at the dashboard
2. With running an IP Updater
3. With the update URL in a browser

trickyt571
Level 1
Level 1

I totally agree.  The lack of a "copy" feature to copy network settings such as blocked individual domains is very annoying.   The sort of "work-around" is to cut and paste each one individually, but this is time consuming if you have a lot of blocked domains, and especially if you often change IP address.

Open DNS offers an App "OpenDNSUpdater.app", but you can not use this on a Mac because you will get the following message when trying to install it.

“OpenDNSUpdater.app” can’t be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.  Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.  Safari downloaded this file today at 06:39 from s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com.

I have no idea what rotblitz means by option 3 "With the update URL in a browser".  I look forward to more explanation on that option.

Incidentally I read somewhere that with the VIP service you can block more individual domains.  I believe there is some kind of limit.  That would be well worth paying for, but I could not verify it in the documentation.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

As I said, you do not need to copy settings and therefore do not need to create new networks. That’s the wrong approach.

muaven
Level 1
Level 1

I enabled dynamic IP updates on the network. Now how do I change the IP address "manually at the dashboard". 

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

You visit https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/ and click the green arrows icon between the IP addresses.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

@trickyt57

The Updater app for Mac OS X (64-bit) is signed, so you should be able to install it.  Else this is a case for an Apple support forum.

The update URL to update your OpenDNS/Umbrella dashboard networks is

https://updates.opendns.com/nic/update?hostname=YourNetworkLabel

muaven
Level 1
Level 1

The update URL worked for me. Thanks for your help rotblitz.