cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OpenDNS not working

johnandrus
Level 1
Level 1

I went to the sites that check, and I get all the right messages.  So I know I have the DNS servers set up correctly.

However, nothing gets blocked.  I have my settings set to 'high', and still nothing gets blocked.  It was working great when I first installed it, now nothing.

I checked my ip, and made sure that it was the same as what I had set up.  Still nothing is blocked.

I also already flushed my dns cache, according to the website instructions.  ipconfig /flushdns

I also cleared my browser cache, since I'm sure someone will ask.

34 Replies 34

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

@dealguy and @Phil, glad to hear that it works for you now. :)

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the fast response Rotblitz, this is the output when running nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com

Server:   resolver1.opendns.com

Address:   208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:

debug.opendns.com         text=

"server 9.dfw"

debug.opendns.com

"flags 20 0 2f6 0"

debug.opendns.com           text=

"id 16011037"

debug.opendns.com

"source 184.155.56.214:50402"

I cleared the browser cash and flushed DNS. Still not working. And I cannot think on anything else to do. Thanks for the support. 

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

According to this output everything should work. What does not work? Can you provide us with examples please, i.e. domain names which do not deliver the expected reaction?

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

Rotblitz, thanks for your reply. I am able to go to playboy.com., penthouse.com, facebook.com, twitter.com.  All of them are accessible. 

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

Ok, then post the output of the following commands:

nslookup www.playboy.com.
nslookup www.penthouse.com.
nslookuop www.facebook.com.
nslookup www.twitter.com.

Also, let us know what browser you're using.

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

nslookup www.playboy.com

Server:  resolver1.opendns.com

Address: 208.67.222

Name: Playboy.com

Address:  66.254.102.216

Nslookup www.penthouse.com

Name: penthouse.com

Address:  208.88.180.54

Nslookup www.facebook.com

Name: star.c10r.facebook.com

Address:  69.171.242.27

nslookup www.twitter.com

Name: twitter.com

Addresses:  199.59.148.10

Aliases: www.twitter.com

I normally use Internet Explorer, but also use Chrome. Same result on both. Thanks for all the help

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

The address is: 208.67.222.222. I copied the result from command prompt, don't know why didn't copy the last .222, it only copied in the first one.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

You generally forget the trailing dot after the domain to make it an FQDN, but no worries, it works because you don't seem to have DNS suffixes configured.

Now post the output of this:

nslookup  -type=txt  which.opendns.com.  208.67.220.220

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

This is the output of running the command:

Server:    resolver2.opendns.com

Address:    208.67.220.220

Name:    Which.opendns.com

I have made a discovery today. I have 2 laptops which I want to setup Open DNS here in my house, and so far as you know it doesn't filter anything. However, I took both laptops to my office, and it works as desired. Came back home, and nothing is filtered. Something to think about.

As always, thank you for the support.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

No, this isn't the output of the command I listed, but most likely the output of "nslookup which.opendns.com.".

Please try again...

shawn.hobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just finished setting up OpenDNS on linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt. This is a second router in my home. The primary is a belkin n750db. I want to keep this one as the primary as my wife and I use that one and being that our children are cyber-schooled, we have a lot of desktops and laptops that we would like to use opendns with; thereby the second router.

Here's the problem:

flushed all cache and dns on all machines, waited a day or so, still the sites I have listed on the opendns account are not being blocked. Also on the opendns page I see an ip address of 208.65.149.242, but on the opendns updater (which I have on one pc on the second router/network), it shows ip address as 24.229.173.2, which is my providers' ip. 

I'm a newb at this...did I miss something?

Thanks

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

@shawn.hobbs
You're a newb at especially how to raise issues in a forum...
Didn't see that this thread is in the middle of handling another problem? Why do you ignore this to break the thread? What prevents you from opening your own thread?

shawn.hobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Please don't criminalize me. I believed this was a general opendns not working thread. No harm was intented. Apologies

cervezafria
Level 1
Level 1

@Shawn... Generally speaking It is best to start your won thread, after searching the forum for an answer to your issue. If you find an active thread about your issue, "subscribe" to it and follow along.

But I see your confusion on this since others (toweyik, gretiro, dealguy, zukkaus, Phil) all jumped in as well, so you're no more "criminalized" than those before you who received help here..

BTW... Do you use McAfee internet protection on your systems, because it seems you are proxying through their network, which would in effect bypass your OpenDNS filter settings.

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

Rotblitz, sorry about the delay, and yes, you are correct, that was not the output of the command, the output is as follows:

Server:     resolver2.opendns.com

Address:   208.67.220.220

which.opendns.com        text  =

"5.dfw"

I wonder, why it works in my office and it doesn't work at home.

Thank you for the help Rotblitz