Views
Helpful
Replies

10 Gbps to Desktop

kalyanccie
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Members

For my CAD/CAM Lab can i have 10 Gbps to the Desktop, i know i Gbps is possible right now, what about 10 gbps.

what are the Cards and switches i need for that, i have four Labs in my Campus, can i have 100 Gbps Backbone, my applications are quite peculiar, it is CAd Design, Multimedia Design for CBTs etc.

regards and thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

No, you can't.

I'm 99% certain that there are no 10GBps NICs available. 10GigE is not (as of yet) made to be a desktop technology, inter-switch / device trunking only.

Keep in mind that most PC desktops only have ~1 Gbps bus capability ... most can't even feed a GigE connection to capacity.

I understand that you are probably using super-duper workstations with lots of CPU and bus bandwidth, but the hardware to hang 10GigE-to-the-desktop is not a practical product (at this point) for many/most/all hardware producers.

As for the 100G trunk, you may be able to use DWDM to get that much bandwidth from point A to point B, but it would be channelized to either 1Gbps or OC48 (~2.4 Gbps) ... lending itself to VLAN-style segmentation, but not a single chunk of bandwidth 100Gbps wide.

Maybe in a few years, but today or in the near future, I don't think so.

Good Luck

Scott

Actually Intel makes a 10Gbps PCI card.

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro10GbE_LR_server_adapter.htm

I am sure that there are a few other companies making them as well.

We are living in amazing times....

Thanks for the link!

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card