Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 15454 with one Muxponder card and an OSC-CSM

hadekhadek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need your help regarding the following : I have two ONS 15454 to be connected by a DWDM link. Each ONS has one Muxponder card and a OSC-CSM card without OADMs MUXs or DMUXs Or Amplifiers. Is it possible to make a direct connection between the Muxponder Card and the OSC-CSM Express ports without using attenuators so that OSC signal and the Muxponder DWDM can be sent in one DWDM line together ?

Any help is welcome. thank you !!!

5 Replies 5

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the main problem is the CTC management software. If you use muxponder you would normally create end to end client circuits (OCHCC) between two muxponder ports. But this will not work, because CTC will not find the way (throuph the MUX/DEMUX'ses). The other way is to create network circuits (OHNC). But this will also not work, because these circuits are from MUX to DEMUX and vice versa. So, it will not work without MUX/DEMUX.

Anyway, this is not a Cisco supported implementation.

I hope this helps. Please rate all posts.

Cheers

Rene

Thank you very much Rene.

Hi everybody

I would like to get back to my last question about connecting a muxponder and an OSC-CSM directly without using MUX and DMUX. I found this in cisco 14545 documentation :

<<<<<<<<<< For a direct connection between TXP or MXP cards, when ALS Auto Restart is enabled and the connections do not pass through a DWDM layer, a similar process takes place. However, because the connections do not go through any amplifier or OSC cards, the TXP or MXP cards attempt to establish communication directly between themselves after a system failure. This is done using a two-second restart pulse, in a manner similar to that previously described between OSCs at the DWDM layer. The power emitted during the pulse is below Hazard Level 1. source : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_technical_reference_chapter09186a00807d5653.html. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If transponders and Muxponders can directly be connected then why we can't connect them using two OSC-CSM cards in both sides ? I mean : MUXP1-->OSC-CSM1-->DWDM line-->OSC-CSM2-->MUXP2

Please any further clarification in this subject will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance !!!

No, OSC-CSM card has a STM-1 port connect to POS in MSC card to transport data over sonet/sdh.

two MUX card can connect directly via trunk port (2.5G or 10G)

Cheers

rick.king
Level 1
Level 1

Actually, from a purely technical standpoint, it could be done. The biggest issue is going to be that you have to pass the lambda through an internal filter to add the OSC on to the "line", and then again on the other side to split the OSC off. If you can overcome this power drop and still send it the distance you are looking to go, it should work "theoretically". Also, its the OSC-CSM COM ports that you would want to plug your MUXPONDER fibers into....