cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 to ProLiant via fiber

JoshuaBoldt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of two Catalyst 3850 48 PoE+ with Network Module C3850-NM-2-10G of which the two right side slots support 10 G SFP modules. I have a 10 G SPF in port 3 (second from right called G3 TE3) on switch 1.   

This is connected with fiber to a ProLiant DL380 Gen10 backup server on a fiber card that the backup guy installed in that server. This same backup server is connected to this same switch over Ethernet cables and it works. On the server you can see the Ethernet port and configure it. On the fiber connection there are no lights on the back of the server or on the 3850 when you plug it in and you can’t see it from the server to configure it.   

Supposedly, all that the previous network guy had to do to get the Ethernet working was enable the VLAN 250 on that port. I enabled VLAN 250 on the Network Module port 3 with “switchport access vlan 250” but that didn’t seem to do anything, and I did a “no shut” but I guess I have to do some kind of fiber thing to it? Or ISCSI?

I’ve configured the regular network ports on all our Cisco switches for basic use with no problem, but not sure how to connect this server to this port on the 3850 with fiber.  The documentation I am reading says if the port is active on the 3850 Network Module it should turn green, but I can’t get it to turn green or blink green (or yellow or red or whatever).   

Port 4 on the Network Module also has fiber in it going to my core switch which is working fine.  (not set up by me)

Sorry I’m new and it’s all old so I don’t have support.

9 Replies 9

Hello,

Based on this information "On the fiber connection there are no lights on the back of the server or on the 3850 when you plug it in and you can’t see it from the server to configure it. "

It can be because the Fiber cable between switch and server can be wrong, you using Multi mode and it should be single mode or the other way around

It can be because the RX is connected in the RX intead the TX. You need to switch the fiber on the cord.

It can be because the interface on the switch side is in shutdown, you need to unshut the ports.

Can you share the command show int status here?

Says "err-disabled" so I guess that means it has errors? 

SRVR_RM_SW-1#sh int t1/1/3
TenGigabitEthernet1/1/3 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)
Hardware is Ten Gigabit Ethernet, address is b07d.4770.9237 (bia b07d.4770.9237)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is unknown
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input never, output never, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Input queue: 0/2000/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
0 unknown protocol drops
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

It can be incompatibility of misconfiguration

send the command

sh run  int t1/1/3

#sh run int t1/1/3
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 69 bytes
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/3
switchport access vlan 250
end

which SFP do you have on the switch side?

It says CMUIAK6CAA on the side and SPF-10G-SR-S on the label 

JoshuaBoldt_0-1683741786601.png

From the switch side you are good.  If you can confirm which is the cable and the SFP on the server side I can take a look.

The actual cable is a Tripplite brand LC-LC, 10GB OM3  If that is not enough info I think I can find the bag it came in somewhere. 

The SFP in the HP server is an HPE 10Gb SR SFP+ (screenshot).  The network card itself is an "HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 562SFP+ Adapter" and it shows up in Device Manager on the server, but it basically says that a cable is not plugged in when you go to the "Network and Internet Settings" in Windows Server 2022 Standard.   

I did try swapping the cable around, it was white and yellow in the SFP and I reversed it to yellow and white and made no difference.  

JoshuaBoldt_0-1683749544211.png

Thanks for all your help with this. I really appreciate it. Did you have a chance to look at my last reply?