Helpful
Replies

DWDM interoperability

jasonlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir,

try to use DWDM to extend IP network.

is it possible using Catalyst 6500 DWDM GBIC to connect to Lucent Wavestar OLS 400G DWDM ?

have any limitation or document for this event ?

Please kindly help to suggest.

thank you.

Jason

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It is my understanding that WDM/CWDM/DWDM interoperability between vendors does not exist in any real form or fashion.

FWIW

Scott

cxa23
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco uses the ITU compliant wavelength grid for its DWDM GBICs. This wavelength assignment is very common amongst all telecommunications manufacturers. DWDM provides a completely transparent mechanism for concentrating signals over fiber. Furthermore, the only alteration that DWDM performs on the inputed signal is to amplify the optical power, the actual data contained within the transmission is never altered.. As a result, you can use the GBIC over another manufacturers DWDM gear with the following caveats...

1. Do not expect any power monitoring, in-band DCC, or network management feature sets of the DWDM equipment to function in a way consistant with using thier tranceivers across the DWDM network. You will ony be able to pass the traffic, any other functionality relating to the wavelength (GBIC) interaction with the DWDM equipment may or may not function correctly.

2. Power management may have to be performed manually. DWDM manufaturers tend to make thier equipment friendly to other product sets they offer but do not typically make any provisions for third party gear to be interoperable at the physical layer thus you must closely control the power input(s) from the GBIC(s) to and from the DWDM coupler/filters.

I have tested the interoperability of Nortel/Fujitsu, Nortel/Lucent, and Nortel/Cisco in lab environemts with much success so I am fairly confident you can make a Cisco/Lucent configuration work. I would reccomend that you trial the configuration in a lab before introducing it into a production enviroment or committing to a purchase from Lucent.

As far as documentation goes... You are most likely going to have to write your own. Every carrier I have worked for keeps that sort of documentation confidential and the vendors are not likely to give it to you because they want you to buy thier product.

Good Luck.

One last note: Interoperability only exists when using a single vendors DWDM Gear with and ITU grid compliant tranceivers/transponders/GBICs/etc. from any vendor. It is not possible to mix and match DWDM gear (i.e. amplifiers, boosters, etc) from differnet manufacturers within an optical link.

Thank you so much.

krestak
Level 1
Level 1

I hace used both technology (but never mixed together). As far as I know both has broadband recieer, so you can plug in DWDM GBIC to customer port of LT DWDM. Just only check the power, if it is short distance you will need attenuator maybe.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card