Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware and protocol for multiple fibre rings on one backbone fibre

Marius M
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I have some doubts what hardware and network configuration should I use for project under my care.

I need to create a stable, working CCTV system with lowest possible cost. It is for a PV plant, that is located on few, separate pieces of land within few kms from each other. Each of such pieces has a Transformer Station fitted with 47U RACK cabinet. All of those stations are connected using single mode 24J fiber (like in a bus topology). I will call this fiber backbone. There are also local (one for each piece of land) fiber rings made from single mode 4J fiber. Both ends of such ring end in RACK cabinet associated with particular plot of land. There are 6 local fibers, on each from 4 to 10 switches. To those switches, we plan to connect 1,2, sometimes 3 long range thermal cameras. All cameras are going to be controlled (and video will be registered on HDDs) by BOSCH's AiO VMS, that will be located on backbone fiber between 2nd and 3rd local fibre. We will stick to CISCO hardware, when it comes to network devices.

I can't change fibers layout and type.

What hardware (local switches in CCTV BOXes, switches in transformer stations, switch for VMS) do you suggest?

I have to keep cost as low as possible, but the network must be operational and stable. In total, there are going to be 47 cameras. Image from each camera is only 640x480 and bitrate is optimised (varies accordingly to how dynamic is the image), so there is no need for huge throughput. Fibers are there due to long distances and strong EMI interference. 

How would you set up such network (with regard to existing restraints)?

Image with physical topology in attachment.

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Found this document : https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/7_0/srnd/vsm_7_0_srnd.pdf
                  It's a bit older ; concepts may still be applicable.

If we look at 'pure switch selection only' ; consider : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/switch-selector.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card