cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP dedicated T1

billabong23
Level 1
Level 1

What is the most recommended configuration for a customer who wants to have a redundant T1? Is BGP4 the way to go or ISDN back up? No flames pls. just curious of what is popular out there.

2 Replies 2

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

The focus of this board is Optical Core Networks, however, there are a number of professionals online who may be able to assist you. We are always considering additional forums for such topics and I will make a note of your post.

If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to speak with a design engineer at your local Cisco office or reseller. You can locate your local Cisco representative from this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/servpro/contact.html

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

dtodd
Level 1
Level 1

Well, you kind of answered your own question. If you are looking for redundancy there are benefits to both technologies.

T1 if from the same carrier will give you some redundancy, however, in most cases if one T1 goes out you will most likely lost both T1s. If staying with the same carrier is a needed then I would recommend that you have them put these Ts in different routers and have them diversified at different COs.

On the other hand you could order a different T1 from one carrier and one from another. Thus redundancy is mostly assured except where it enters your building and where it enters the same manhole facility.

ISDN is good for redundancy and for light email traffic. Not grand if you are pumping a 1544mb of data.

Using ISDN is a failsafe for 90% of cicumstantances since it's a dail and connect type of technology (not dedicated).

BGP is a protocol for setting up diversified internet connections to the same isp or mostly different isps. I would recommend that if you are using the same isp and not connected to the same router to use bgp. If you are connected to the same router and isp then loadbalance using two static routes point to your upstream router.

Good luck and i hope this helps.