cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing 100/140 and 62.5 Micron fiber

rganaway26
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know if it is possible to mix 100/140 and 62.5 Micron Multimode fiber. I would like both fiber types to terminate into one device. I am estimating about four pieces of glass hooked up to this switch. What device do I need to use?

2 Replies 2

kegibson
Level 1
Level 1

The only limitation you should encounter regarding the mixing of the two fiber diameter MMF's would be the physical connector interface.

Since impedence matching is not an issue with fiber cable, the only issue you may encounter is more loss on the larger diameter fibers, so you should be careful regarding the distances traversed with the fiber connections.

If the equipment interface is standard then the fiber connection will be 62.5m for Multimode, your connection loss will be greater than standard on the larger diameter fiber cable, but again, you should be able to transport optical signals over short distances.

No tables are available that would indicate the actual transport ability with the larger diameter fiber.

Basically if the physical connectors match, I would carefully polish and inspect both connectors and make the connection, then take careful power readings to insure sufficient insertion power on the receive end.

rganaway26
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a bunch