Views
Helpful
Replies

Window PC Optical Networking

dhirhe
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I'm looking to connect my two window PCs with an optical networking card (PCIe card) using fibre optics cable and I wish to achieve a 100gbps data rate. The wavelength I'm looking at is single lambda (~1550nm) possibility QSFP28. Can anyone suggest the optical networking card (PCIe card) with a single lambda QSFP28 or similar? this will be a great help to me

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This might not be the best forum for your question.

Perhaps something like the Data Center and Cloud:Server Networking forum would be better for recommendations for 100 Gbps PCIe NICs.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@dhirhe wrote:
I'm looking to connect my two window PCs with an optical networking card (PCIe card) using fibre optics cable and I wish to achieve a 100gbps data rate. 

Windows PC?  100 Gbps?  

Yeah, nope.  

Yes, we want to transfer data from one window PC to another with a 100gbps data rate. We have already achieved a 10gbps data rate with SFP+ devices. We have used Asus- 10G PCIe Network Adapter; SFP+ port for Optical Fiber Transmission. Now we are looking for a device for a 100gbps data link.

I doubt it you were able to actually achieve a real transfer rate of 1 Gbps with a PC.

"1 Gbps"

Leo, did you really mean 1 Gbps?

For modern PCs, that shouldn't be an issue.

However, I did wonder about 100 Gbps.

My knowledge was not current on PCIe, so I first wondered about that as I didn't recall PCIe supporting that much bandwidth.

Well my memory was correct, as PCIe, originally, didn't support that much bandwidth, but appears PCIe, ver. 3.x, can with 16 lanes, ver. 4.x, with 8 lanes, ver. 5.x., with 4 lanes, ver. 6.x, with 2 lanes, and ver. 7, with 1 lane.

Then I searched for 100 Gbps NICs, which do exist, usually targeted for servers (which is why I recommended the forum I did).

I'll note, between just a pair computer workstations, regardless of OS, except for exchanging data from RAM to RAM, likely any other datastore would be a bottleneck (except for the latest/fastest SSDs) and would not benefit from a 100 Gbps NIC. (NB:  of course, that's as of right now.  Wouldn't be surprised if 100 Gbps becomes the norm, for user hosts, within 10 years.)

Hi Joseph,

You are very close what we are doing and we are able to achieve data rate up to 9.6gbps with 10g PCIe card. You have also correctly pointed out these transfer has to be from RAM to RAM or NVMe to NVMe. We are trying to find out correct set of 100g PCIe with Sungle wavelength QSF28 or similar device. These devices are not available in our country so before buying something I want to be sure and this is why I have post my requirement here is. 

9.6 Gbps on 10g NIC - excellent.  Also using jumbo Ethernet?

If you transfer is TCP based, for 100g, you may need to double checked your RWINs are sufficiently sized.

"These devices are not available in our country so before buying something I want to be sure and this is why I have post my requirement here is."

Understood, but this forum is oriented toward optical networking infrastructure. A host NIC would be unusual concern.  Again, suspect Cisco's server forum might be the better for suggestions for good (hi performance) host NICs.

Other options might be to post such a question in something like Reddit, or check public sites that review user/server computer hardware.

At this point in time, very much expect you're in a very small minority placing a 100Gbps NIC into a non-server host (and even for servers, it's probably also a small minority too).

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:
Leo, did you really mean 1 Gbps?

Supply and demand. 

Modern brick-n-mortar "office" PCs do not have the CPU, memory and storage speed to push past 1 Gbps much less at sustained level.  Even some of our CAD PCs (with customized CPU, memory and SSD) have trouble sustaining 1 Gbps.  Punching 1 Gbps is no problem.  But a sustained speed of 1 Gbps is not what it seems.  

For a customized PC to go beyond 1 Gbps, they will need a network card that can support mGIG or 10 Gbps.  There is doubt a customized PC can even achieve a sustained speed of >10 Gbps but 2.5 Gbps might be possible if the cost of 2.5 Gbps PCIE card price comes down to an "affordable" level where it OEM can add it into their catalogue.  

Laugh, perhaps "down under" PCs are 10 years behind in their technology and/or your brick-n-mortar PCs are bargain-bin (i.e. very inexpensive [cheap] models).

Seriously, though, low price PCs (or laptops) really do cut corners on hardware, which very much can create the problems you note.

(Although there are some "gotchas" that can trip you up.  For example, I recall, it used to be [still?] on Windows PCs running Microsoft's CTCP, their servers ran with different performance defaults then their "workstations", although I also recall you could manually enable the extra performance settings on "workstations" too.  Oh, and BTW, these were settings often needed for pushing a high transfer rate.  [Note my mention of RWIN sizing, for TCP, in my first posting.]  Of course, if PC management folk, discover you can actually obtain a much higher sustained transfer rate, changing some network options on the host, and do so, it can have some "interesting" network repercussions.)

Conversely, you might find if you run one of the better Linux distros on the same hardware, it doesn't seem to have the same network performance high throughput issue.

Yea, currently, a NIC supporting more than gig would be expensive, but then I remember when at one company, they were still buying TR 4/16 Mbps NICs, that cost as much, if not slightly more, as the PC which had an on-board 10/100 Ethernet NIC.  (NB: because of this, they decided to move from TR, running at 4 Mbps, to Ethernet running at 10 Mbps.  [I convinced my department to be the very last of this conversion.  Why?  Did I mention, the 10 Mbps Ethernet was on large chassis hubs?  We converted to Ethernet when they replaced the hubs with large chassis switches, still 10 Mbps.])

So, I very much expect like other PC hardware, eventually newer PCs will come with faster than gig NICs, standard.  (They sure have come a long way from my first personal microcomputer [IBM PCs didn't come along until a couple of years later] or the early dumb terminals I used at work [which were much nicer than punched cards]).

But you're correct, a typical office PC, today, doesn't come with a 10g interface, let alone 100g.

However, OP seems to understand these issues, because of their mention of NVMe and obtaining 9.6 Gbps on a 10g NIC.

I believe they understand a 100g NIC can easily stress almost any "PC", but if you read up on the 100g NICs, different vendors try to mitigate the impact to the PC itself.  The "gotcha" here is whether a vendor's 100g really works (well), which, I suspect, is why they are looking for recommendations.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This might not be the best forum for your question.

Perhaps something like the Data Center and Cloud:Server Networking forum would be better for recommendations for 100 Gbps PCIe NICs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card