Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco packet tracer

I'm beginner at networking, I notice that after configuring a network when I try to test the network connectivity with sending msg every time at the first attempt It always says "Failed" and then it says "successful" . what is the reason ?

NJMCDirect

5 Replies 5

Martin L
VIP
VIP

It is due to ARP process that includes MACs which all devices connected to Ethernet must have;  So, before any communication happens, there must be a mapping IP to MAC address in ARP cache. 

What books do u have ? and search /read about ARP.

Also, search ARP on youtube, lots of good videos there !

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Whatley
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Packet Tracer is a software which is free to download, however, needs registration to Netacad Networking Academy no charges associated with registration. It is essential to register since users need to sign in with the same ID when they run the simulation.

Myloweslife

LoisSwartz63
Level 1
Level 1

Basically cisco has a tutorial packet I was following. The packet wanted me to set up a simple network. I followed the instructions and It wanted me to ping (from an embedded sim terminal cmd prompt) their cisco.srv server. I try to ping it and don't get any response from the server. I did notice that the router I was connected to in the simulation didn't have any set internet IP. Furthermore, after setting the simulation PC to DHCP I wasn't getting any 192... IP address like I was supposed to be getting, only an 169 APIPA address. Apparently its supposed to dish out a proper IP but was failing to do so. I even tried setting up auto connections, where I wouldn't have to manually configure anything and was still getting no type of response from the server. I then looked on their support page and found a lot of other people having this same issue after following the course instructions. So idk. I'm currently looking for a different simulator.

TellCulvers

Cisco® Packet Tracer is a powerful network simulation program that allows students to experiment with network behavior and ask “what if” questions.  Arise Portal Sign In

Niamh69
Level 1
Level 1

@Howellshapirotbs.07 wrote:

I'm beginner at networking, I notice that after configuring a network when I try to test the network connectivity with sending msg every time at the first attempt It always says "Failed" and then it says "successful" . what is the reason ?

MyWaffleHouse Login

Packet Tracer offers an effective, interactive environment for learning networking concepts and protocols. Most importantly, Packet Tracer helps students and instructors create their own virtual “network worlds” for exploration, experimentation, and explanation of networking concepts and technologies.