Helpful
Replies

ACE MODULE IN BRIDGE MODE NOT LOADBALANCING

tolulopebalogun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I setup an ace module in bridge mode as follows:

mfsc(vla80) > (vla80)outside fwsm, fwsm inside(vla40) > (vla40)ace-clientside, aceserverside(vla41)

and the servers have the fwsm svi(vla40) as their gateway. But, the ace is not loadbalancing.

The config script is attached. Is their anything I am missing?

2 Replies 2

Christopher Miles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi tolulopebalogun,

To configure the ACE for loadbalancing the following high level steps need to be followed

• Enable ACLs to allow data traffic through the ACE device, as it is denied by default.
  • Configure the IPs of the servers (define rservers).
  • Group the real servers (create a server farm).
  • Define the virtual IP address (VIP).
  • Define how traffic is to be handled as it is received (create a policy map for load-balancing).
  • Associate a VIP to a handling action (create a multimatch policy map [a service policy])
  • Create client- and server-facing interfaces and a BVI to join them.
  • Apply the VIP and ACL permitting client connections to the interface (apply access group and service policy to interface).

I don't see from your config attatched that you've configured the ACLs for traffic you wish the ACE to look at. I have found a document that goes through the a basic bridge configuration step by step for the ACE..

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Basic_Load_Balancing_Using_Bridged_Mode_on_the_Cisco_Application_Control_Engine_Configuration_Example

cheers,

Chris

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At a first glance I do not see anything wrong with the config but then again have not worked with ACE for sometime now. Have you verified if the VIP is indeed active? Also is the probe successful? What happens if you try to access the VIP? Also share output of the following commands:

• show probe
  • show service policy
  • show serverfarm
  • show arp

Atif

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card