Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCNM Classic LAN or LAN Fabric mode

Hello all,

I am having difficulty understanding what installation type to choose for DCNM. Currently our environment is mainly Nexus platform switches with VPC. But I also am planning on building a VXLAN based fabric.

So today I need Classic LAN but in the near future I need LAN Fabric.

I have been told the LAN Fabric essentially supports a classic LAN as well. But I cannot figure out how to discover Nexus switches running in a traditionally VPC network in LAN Fabric mode. Keep in mind I have no fabric yet.

In Classic mode I have no problem discovering and adding Nexus switches.

I am hoping I do not have to run 2 instances of DCNM. What am I missing in LAN Fabric mode to allow me to monitor/manage non-fabric switches?

2 Replies 2

raugusti
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't played enough with Classic LAN but I would expect to see different instances. Just like I'm not expecting LAN Fabric instance to cover SAN Management, I would expect same behavior to be applied to Classic LAN instance.

Thanks,

The problem is a Cisco TME told me at Cisco Live that this is what I should expect. Which is the ability to manage a classic network with LAN Fabric. I am guessing that I have to have a Fabric that has a classic LAN attached to it. In my case I don't have a fabric yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: