Replies

N2K-C2348UPQ4F FEX doesn't online after migrate from N7K to N5K

naykhant-zaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have issue with N2K-C2348UPQ4F, 

First time we connected to N7K with  7.3.(2)D1(1) for 2 weeks, 

after that we disconnect from N7K and connect to N5K-C5648Q with 7.1(4)N1(1) but N2K does't came up ,

Can you advise what should we do ? 

Below are step what we face:

once we connect N2K to N5K it's image download

N5K_01# sh fex
FEX FEX FEX FEX Fex 
Number Description State Model Serial 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
100 FEX0100 Image Download N2K-C2348UPQ-10GE FOCX1X2R1XX

after reboot N2K it became offline 

N5K_01# sh fex
FEX FEX FEX FEX Fex 
Number Description State Model Serial 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
100 FEX0100 Offline N2K-C2348UPQ-10GE FOCX1X2R1XX

10 Replies 10

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5

It's because each Parent switch has it's own kickstart and system images for the FEX, when you moved that from the N7K to the N5K it won't work

You'll have to upgrade the FEX's kickstart and system images

See this link for instructions.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_4_0_1a/NX2000CLIConfig/FEX-Config.html#75788

Hi RIck,

is it possible to downgrade N7K to 7.1(4)N1 ? , so it will same as N5K ,

Thanks,

Good question, I don’t believe so as there completly different OS’s for each system. You can however reload the fex on the N5K which shouldn’t give you an issue.

Hi Rick, 

i have some difficult with N5K due to it's in production and can't able to reload and tested with N5K, 

is that possible downgrade with N9K instead of N5K ?  after downgrade with N9K , i will connect to N5K, is that possible ? , thanks. 

I don’t think so beacuse the parent switch has a vet specific version.

What I would try in a maintenance window is download the image for the fex to the 5k then plug the fex into the 5k you should be able to do this with no down time. Now if the fex has devices connected to it they will experience downtime as the ports reconfigure and then you reapply the configuration.

Hi Rick,

sorry about my understanding, download the image meaning that I need to download the 7.3.(2)D1(1)  and upgrade N5K ?

Thanks,

I believe you can just download the kickstart image to the 5k and enter the command “install all”

See the following link for directions.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_4_0_1a/NX2000CLIConfig/FEX-Config.html#75788

Hi Rack,

after I connected, N2K is offline, is that possible install image with offline ? ,

the main problem is N2K doesn't online ,

thanks.

Yes you should be able.

1.     Remove the NIF/HIF (ports connecting FEX and N5K) connections of 2348UPQ from 5624Q Parent switch.
2.  Connect the FEX back again to N7k and make it online.
3.  Load the dplug image matching the N7k image (load bootflash:<dplug filename>)
4.  Now rlogin to the FEX as root. (rlogin -l root 127.1.1.<fexid>)
5.  Do rm -rf /mnt/sysimage/*
6.  Remove Physical NIF connections and HIF port connections if any (fex will shut off, thats fine)
7.  Connect the FEX back up to the N5k/N6k. Now the FEX should come up

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: