cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2651 router w/ CEF

georgeburtz
Level 1
Level 1

I have an internet facing router (2651) with a single T1 to the provider. I want to add a second T1 and bond them together. The provider doesn't do multilink PPP, they use CEF to load balance over the 2 circuits. This router is maxed out on DRAM and runs BGP for external routes. CPU load averages about 20% steady.

Question - If I add this circuit and run CEF, will this router be able to handle this? Should I upgrade to a 37xx?

Thanks!!

4 Replies 4

Hello,

this should be no problem for the 2651, in fact, turning on CEF reduces the CPU utilization considerably, as less packets are process switched and more packets are fast switched.

HTH,

Georg

rpgccie
Level 1
Level 1

Yes Gpu is absolutely right in pointing out that by enabling CEF your CPU usage will come down considerably.

Cause the first packet of every netflow will come to the router other packets are switched to the exit interface.

First packet takes this path :

Router

^

|

---> Swx --->

2nd packet takes this path :

Router

|

|

---> Swx --->

It never enters the router.

PS ::

THE DIAGRAM I HAVE DRAWN ABOVE IS NOT BEING SHOWN AS I DESIRED THE FORMAT IS LOST WHEN I POST IT .

georgeburtz
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feedback!

You can also tell your router to do a per packet or a per connection load balance with the command ip load-balance at the interface level.