Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-S 24p switch not keeping config

Hi fellows,

I'm using a 2960-S switch on my test lab, for learning purposes, and when trying to ping between hosts and VLANs, I'm getting some troubles. After some troubleshooting with a buddy of mine, we discovered that this might be due to NVRAM not being able to keep configurations over ports. I can see VLANs, and their respective configurations as well, but when it comes to my trunk port in g0/1, I can that this port is not holding any configuration I've made.

Searching around, I found that perhaps configuration register is putting me into this issue, as for some switches and routers, the default is 0xF. I also found some tricks to change it from 0xF to 0x2142 or 0x2102. Is this true ? Changing this would have any effect in my switch ?

I'm even thinking that maybe is time to get rid of this switch and try to get another one, but for the prices I'm able to afford, 3560 series switch is the only viable, but, the configs set is almost the same as of 2960 when it comes to configuration register.

34 Replies 34

Well, again, the same, even in different machine. I'll post the complete output, I managed the right way to get full output.

Hi Richard,

Well, then, seems that I didn't provide the whole output, because this is everything that I got when running those commands.

Mode button is all fine. Should I try it ?

Hello,

also, what is the trunk port used for ? Do you have a router-on-a-stick setup ? Either way, post the full running configuration (sh run) of the switch and any other device that is connected to the switch..

Hello Georg,

Yes, I'm using router-on-a-stick configuration, which is connected via port g0/1 of my switch and this very same port is the trunk port.

By showing any device connected, you mean hosts and the router on g0/1 as well ?

Here follows running configuration :

Building configuration...                                                       

Current configuration : 5396 bytes                                              
!                                                                               
! Last configuration change at 18:28:47 UTC Tue Mar 2 1993                      
!                                                                               
version 12.2                                                                    
no service pad                                                                  
service timestamps debug datetime msec                                          
service timestamps log datetime msec                                            
no service password-encryption                                                  
!                                                                               
hostname mylabswitch                                                        
!                                                                               
boot-start-marker                                                               
boot-end-marker                                                                 
!                                                                               
!                                                                               
enable secret 5 $3$1DTB$kohl8mrRW.5HO7jTTLk.                                  
enable password *****************                                            
!                                                                               
no aaa new-model                                                                
!                                                                               
!                                                                               
!         

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card