cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550SMI w/ multiple VLAN default routes

kvadnais
Level 1
Level 1

ok, i've talked to multiple people about this issue and all seem to say "yeah, it sounds easy, but its quite difficult to do and almost isnt possible", so i figured i'd give it a shot on here.

basically, here is the scenario:

i have a 3550 smi that i am trying to connect to two different ethernet connections in our cabinet (we're colo'd) and route vlans to either connection. course, just getting the two different interfaces to work properly is the major concern at the moment.

i have two /30 ip blocks for each interface, which i have setup each /30 one as vlan2 and vlan3.

/******************************/

interface Vlan2

ip address 192.168.0.26 255.255.255.252

!

interface Vlan3

ip address 192.168.0.58 255.255.255.252

now, i then setup the default route table for each vlan. (which im far from sure being the correct syntax)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Vlan2 192.168.0.25

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Vlan3 192.168.0.58

anyway, once i add the first default route command, i can ping the switch, telnet in w/ fast keystroke response, and it all looks good. i add the second route command, and the ping responses start lagging hard (basically getting a reply on every other packet), and the keystroke response while telnet'ing in is extremely slow/lagged. i presume this is due to it routing packets out both/either interface. this seems to be the source of my problems and i cant find a way around it. (then again, im not a expert in any fashion)

the basic reason for all this is so i can make subsiquent vlans for devices hooked into this switch, and choose which vlan gateway to route them out of. so far, everyone i present this to says it isnt really possible and i don't see why not.

any information would be GREATLY appreciated! =)

thanks!

kris

2 Replies 2

Hello,

just to clarify a few things: I assume you want traffic from different sources to be routed out to different destinations ? The default routes won´t work because they don´t differentiate the traffic, that is why your PING responses lag when you have tow default routes. Where are the source networks located ?

It would be better to use policy routing, can you post a schematic setup of your network and the source and destination networks ?

Regards,

Georg

I'm basically trying to setup two VLANs for "interface" purposes, and then route other VLANs thru these interface-VLAN's for different reasons.

The reason for all this is for video streaming application. The application is comprised of a encoder and relay server, and 4 VLANs. Each relay server will have 2 NIC cards.

One NIC is connected to a VLAN (aka "OUTBOUND_VLAN") that routes thru VLAN2 interface. The other NIC is connected to a VLAN (aka "INCOMING_VLAN") that routes through the VLAN3 interface. Encoders will push video over the internet and down the VLAN3 interface destined to INCOMING_VLAN (where all the servers connected to it, can accept the incoming video streams.)

These servers will then re-distribute the video out to viewing clients via the OUTBOUND_VLAN which routes thru the VLAN2 interface.

The idea is to have seperate interfaces so that incoming video traffic isn't coming in the same interface as general purpose (hosting, dns, e-mail, etc.), and video stream viewing traffic is. (Which would create a mess)

The servers will in essence complete the bridge between with their two NIC cards and allow viewing traffic coming in one interface to see the traffic coming in the other.

If what I have just said makes any sense, and now what I am attempting to do is a little more clear, ANY information you guys have for me would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

kris

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card