cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 switch needs a firmware

srwiza1
Level 1
Level 1

I bought this 3560 cisco switch but when I turn it on all I get is a blinking light on SYST. Check here and there was told this switch got no firmware.

So i jumped onto cisco site to see if I can download the firmware but here I get all kinds of cisco switches for 3560 have no idea which one is compatible with mine as I have a 3560 series PoE-24 but cannot find this on cisco site.

I am also using Putty to try and install the firmware.

I have attache a picture of my switch model

Also I know I may need help in choosing the correct firmware, if there is anyone who can help me I will really appreciate.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 3560 are eol there downloads have been removed from the website as there not supported anymore

you may find them on other websites if you search but first check that its definitely not there

is the device in mode switch:  when you console in via putty or what does it show you

follow these steps and if there successful when in switch: mode then type boot

1. Issue the flash_init command and the load_helper command.
  2. If the Flash has already initialized, you see this:
    1. switch: flash_init Initializing Flash... ...The flash is already initialized. switch:
  3. If the Flash has not initialized, you see this:
    1. switch: flash_init Initializing Flash... flashfs[0]: 21 files, 2 directories flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440 flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 4499456 flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 3241984 flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 7 seconds. ...done initializing flash. Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3 Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
  4. Issue the load_helper command in order to load any boot helper images. Here is an example:
    1. switch: load_helper switch:
    1. Issue the dir flash: command in order to view the contents of the Flash file system.
    2. Determine if there are any Cisco IOS® image files or image directories in flash:. The Cisco IOS image files are .bin files, and the image directories are named with the image filename, excluding the .bin extension. If no Cisco IOS image files or image directories exist, you see this:
    1. switch: dir flash: Directory of flash:/ 2 -rwx 5 <date> private-config.text 3 -rwx 110 <date> info 4 -rwx 976 <date> vlan.dat 6 -rwx 286 <date> env_vars 26 -rwx 1592 <date> config.text 8 drwx 1088 <date> html 19 -rwx 110 <date> info.ver 4393472 bytes available (3347968 bytes used) switch: !--- No Cisco IOS images or image directories exist in Flash.

thanks for that response so when I try to run the flash_init command it say flash is already initializing and when I run the load_helper  command I get unkown cmd load

Also when i run the third command switch: dir flash: Directory of flash: I get this message below

switch: dir flash: Directory of flash:
Directory of flash:/

15997952 bytes available (1024 bytes used)
unable to stat Directory/: no such device
unable to stat of/: no such device
Directory of flash:/

15997952 bytes available (1024 bytes used)

switch:

not sure if I am doing it correct and when I hit boot this is what I get 

switch: boot
Loading "flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin"...flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

please help or do I need to get a new switch

Hi,

In order to upgrade a device you must consider the following:

- Available space on the device, you could execute show flash (it could vary sometimes it could be saved on the bootflash, slot, etc)

In some situations you must delete the current image (NOTE: Don't reload the device once the image is removed)

- Connectivity between the Device's IP and the Server or computer FTP.

- Get a backup. 

- Have the proper image to upgrade. 

These links could be useful:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3550-series-switches/41541-190.html

https://www.packet6.com/how-to-upgrade-the-ios-of-a-cisco-switch/

Using a TAR image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utSbMinOID4

if you have a Cisco contract, you can download the image from here, just select the proper model, it can be displayed rear of the device. 

https://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=278542537

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card