Views
Helpful
Replies

65xx Health Check

jkimbell
Level 1
Level 1

I seek opinions on two related topics:

1) A set of show commands to run on 65xx switches to determine the present health of the switch.

2) Rule-of-thumb thresholds for judging the output from the suggested commands.

For example, if utilization on on Ethernet segment is routinely 90%, it is overloaded.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

alagrawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Following are some commands that I could think of.

If running Hybrid code:

For the supervisor:

1. show system

Look for backplane traffic/utilization and peak backplane traffic/utilization. Generally speaking if the backplane utilization is about 15% - 20%, then it could indicate a broadcast storm or a layer 2 loop occurring in the network. However one should baseline this. In most cases, the backplane utilization remains less than 5%. It also gives a timestamp of when the peak traffic/utilization occurred. Hence you can use that to co-relate any issues at that time.

2. show environment all

This gives the state of the power supplies, the fan-tray and the clock modules. It also gives info on whether the PSs are in redundant mode or combined mode and how much power is being drawn by each module.

3. show module

This shows you quickly that all modules are in "ok" state

4. show port counters

This shows if there are any errors at the port level

5. show mac

Look for any out-discards. Out-discards are packets that are dropped due to the port buffer getting filled up.

6. show test

Gives the info about the diagnostics that are run on the modules when it is first inserted in the chassis or powered up.

7. show log

Gives info about the reboot history of each module. Also logs some info in case there is a crash or communication issue between the modules.

8. show proc cpu

Need to baseline this. Usually it isnt higher than 20% for the 5 minute cpu utilization statistic. For catos 8.3 and higher the cpu utilization may be around 20% even without any load on the switch. This is due to the IDLE_Tasks and SlcpProcess. This is normal.

8. show top

This shows the top 10 most utilized ports on the switch. In case of broadcast storms or layer 2 loops, this command is helpful in isolating the problem. Need to baseline this information.

For the MSFC:

1. show proc cpu

Again, need to baseline this, but typically should not be higher than 20%

2. show interface

Look for

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

If there are high Input queue drops, it would indicate that a lot of traffic is reaching the MSFC or is being software switched. Generally there should not be any input queue drops or flushes.

If running IOS on the supervisor:

1. show catalyst6000 traffic-meter

Gives same info regarding the backplane utilization. This command is currently not available for sup720s, but is targeted to be included soon.

2. show environment status

3. show module

4. show interface counter error

5. show diagnostic module all

6. show log

7. show proc cpu

8. No equivalent of show top in IOS yet. Planned soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions for any of the above. If i remember any additional commands, I will write in.

Hope that helps.

regards

-Alok

Exactly what I was looking for clearly and concisely stated. Thank you very much for an excellent response.

JPK