cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

831 used a gateway

jbroach
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a 831 to replace a Linksys BEFVP41.How can I configure the 831 to work as a gateway. We have a simple network: file & pring server acting as the dhcp server, a terminal server, a HP ProCurve 4000M switch. Our DSL is PPoE. The dhcp service on the 831 conflicts with the dhcp on my server. The Linksys had a radio button to change the working mode from router to gateway. The 831 is not quite that simple. Help

3 Replies 3

Hello,

check this link for a sample configuration:

Configuring the Cisco 827 Router as a PPPoE Client With NAT

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_example09186a0080094475.shtml#table1

Also, for the DHCP configuration, which one do you want to use, the 831 or your server ? Have you tried to turn the DHCP service off on your 831 ?

831(config)#no service dhcp

Can you post your current configuration ?

Regards,

Georg

jbroach
Level 1
Level 1

Georg, Thanks for your kind response. The link you posted is not available to me. I only have guest privileges. The answer to your questions. I want to use my server for DHCP service. I turned off DHCP on the 831 using CRWS. Now the 831 is inaccessible by CRWS. I have not tried to use the console port. Can you stil help me?

I just finished configuring a SOHO 91 (same as 831)for a small office with DSL PPPoE. Before, I had almost no knowledge of IOS... and by reading configuration guides, books, working with a Cisco engineer (through an SR), I came up with a better more secure config.

At first, CRWS allowed me to get up an running quickly but that's it. I had no idea what else needed to be done to secure the router. However, once I started using the command line, it became apparent that it was a lot easier than using a GUI tool. I therefore suggest you abandon the CRWS and check the security configuration guides. It might be a lengthier process however I am sure you will benefit in the long run by knowing exactly what service runs and what happens to the traffic going through the router.

First, use the console port and configure SSH. Then, use PuTTY to gain access to the command line. You will be able to configure everything securely through there.

See http://www.giac.org/practical/Albert_Wolfkiel_GSEC.doc

...for a sample config of a SOHO LAN using a similar router.

You will need to learn CBAC (IOS Firewall) and several other IOS services and technologies. Good luck.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card