cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AS5350/DDR Monitoring

tmbonitz
Level 1
Level 1

We have approx. (540) remote Cisco 1750 routers configured for DDR which in turn dial our central AS5350 . Does anyone know of a monitoring solution that could actually test the DDR connection, verify connectivity and log the status? The only way known at this point is to manually telnet to the routers and initiate a call to the AS5350. Try that 540 times...

-thanks for any input. will continue searching the boards.

4 Replies 4

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

There are 2 issues: causing dialing, and logging the result. I don't know of a management solution that would do this automatically, although a script could likely be written to do the same thing. It would be "manual", I suppose, but still effective. The sequence would be to telnet to a 1750 (I assume there is access to it by means other than the DDR), ping to cause dialing, note whether it's successful or not, clear the line and close the telnet connection. Move to next device.

Another way (not necessarily better) would be to configure Dialer Watch for some non-existent route, which can be a statically configured route that is propogated by the 5350 or some other box. When you want to test the DDR links, you remove the static route, which should ultimately cause the remotes to dial (no interesting traffic required). The 5350 could note who dials in and connects, log that to a syslog server for more crunching to see who did not connect. However, since you have 540 remotes, you really don't want them all dialing at the same time. So you can either set up Dialer Watch delay timers differently per group of boxes, or setup multiple phantom routes with one route watched by a group of 1750's, and remove the static route one at a time for testing purposes.

gtsirigotis
Level 1
Level 1

A good solution is to install and use the "Automate" Software. It's a way to automate many thinks.Just try it. It has alot of commands ready for use, or you can built a basic script.

Hope it helps!

Thank you for your responses, I shall try all options. I'm not quite sure what the automate software is but sure to find out.

Here is the link to help you out :-)

http://www.unisyn.com

You can find me ,also, at Wildrose@netone.gr...