Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad LSA Type-4

jey.theepan
Level 1
Level 1

Any idea what this error means?

"May 31 04:39:47: %OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE: Invalid lsa: Bad LSA type Type 4, LSID 16.3.255.205 from 16.3.255.206, 16.23.248.21, Serial0/0.1"

2 Replies 2

Hello,

this is what the Error Message Decoder comes up with:

ERROR MESSAGE NOTIFICATIONS (if any)

%OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE (x1): Invalid lsa: [chars] Type [dec], LSID [IP_address]

from [IP_address], [IP_address], [chars]

Explanation: The router has received an LSA with an invalid LSA type. The cause

is either memory corruption or unexpected behavior on a router.

Recommended Action: Perform the following actions:

1. From a neighboring address, locate the problem router.

2. Collect a running configuration of the router by

entering the show running-config command.

3. Enter the show ip ospf database command

to gather data that may help identify the nature of the error.

4. Enter the

show ip ospf database link-state-id

command, with link-state-id being the IP address

of the invalid LSA.

5. Enter the

show logging

command to gather data that may help identify the nature of the error. Reboot the router. If you cannot determine the nature of the error from the collected information, open a case with the Technical

Assistance Center via the Internet at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/front.x/case_tools/caseOpen.pl,

or contact your Cisco technical support representative and provide the representative

with the information you have gathered. Attach the following information to your

case in nonzipped, plain-text (.txt) format: the output of the show logging and

show tech-support commands and your pertinent troubleshooting logs.

Regards,

Georg

Very old post, but it was top google result, so I though I would go ahead and reply.

This  is very uncommon for us, but I have seen it happen in our environment. I  am not sure if this is considered a bug or not. The error can occur  when when one of the upstream routers involved in your OSPF topology  adds a new network to an ospf process.You can usually get rid of the  error by running "clear ip ospf process". The command may cause a short  outage as the ospf processes are rebuilt, but it is much faster than a  full reboot. The clear command causes 3-5 seconds outage on our 3750x's,  but it would be a good 5 to 10 minutes for them to reboot. In our case  the error was just an annoyance, our network still functioned.

Example - add area to upstream router N7k

ospf 100

area 0.0.0.36 stub

area 0.0.0.36 range 10.36.0.0/16

Example - area was already configured on edge router 3750x

osfp 100

area 36 stub

network 10.36.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 36

In  this example (in my environment) if the edge router who is the stub for  area 36 was configured before the upstream router, the error pops up  and a "clear ip osfp 100 process" get rid of it.