cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for core and access switches in IP-surveillance system network ?

Hello folks,
the subject above tells all about my concerns and the exercise that I am doing.
the network is going to handle the IP CCTV traffic only, it consists of the following:
a-Access switches 24 X 100 Mbps cat-6 links for cameras = 15.
b-Core Switch = 1.
c-Network video recorders with internal 8 TB HDD  PR -4011 ( each is 400 Mbps bandwidth) = 5.
I am confused if the Cisco S G-300-28 MP as an access switch and catalyst 3850 as a core switch will be the best choices to operate the network with full performance without delay and video drop in live view and recording.
Note: the access-core up-link is 1 G bps. and the cameras are all POE.
the sum of bandwidth estimated for this network is 1332 Mbps and details are attached.BWReport.png
3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If the cameras are 100 Mbps why do you need Cat 6? That's a very expensive.
Why do you need a core switch?

the cameras are multi stream and it is being used for longer distances, overtime the signal quality is being degraded and which is sufficient right now will show drop in quality in the future 3 years for example, especially it is being used for the maximum length in some points.
the network is a star topology usually I refer to the aggregation switch as core switch

@AbdulrahmanOdhah76067 wrote:

the cameras are multi stream and it is being used for longer distances, overtime the signal quality is being degraded and which is sufficient right now will show drop in quality in the future 3 years for example, especially it is being used for the maximum length in some points

Uhhhh ... wut?  

I've never heard of this malarky before.   So no, this sort of "reasoning" still doesn't justify Cat 5e vs Cat 6.

Here's the thing with the design ... Just because the cameras come with 100 Mbps NIC doesn't mean it will push 100 Mbps at all times.  (The "total bandwidth" calculated is actually useless.)

Most IP cameras don't push >30 Mbps.  

Cheaper IP cameras don't like any other VLANs other than VLAN 1.  

Don't forget multi-cast traffic. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: