cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building a Network

eokai
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to cisco and i have a router 2600 series which i want to use in my network. I will like to use the router as a dhcp server. I have othere servers which will be attached to it. this is how it looks in the attached diagram. Please could someone help me config this. Apart from the servers connection to the router i have 25 pcs too in my network.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

joshua.ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

I have found this link to be very helpful;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a008008743b.html#22712

Basically you go into config mode and enter a ip dhcp pool <> and that will put you in the DHCP config. If you are using a class C network I would recommend doing one of two things;

1) Set the pool to be address 1-128 and leave 126-254 as static address for your router and servers.

2) Set the pool to be address 1-253 and configure the dhcp server to reserve the address for your servers by MAC address. Then assigned .254 as the router LAN address. This is a bit more administrative overhead but works nicely if you want everything under DHCP control.

I hope this answers your questions if you have any others please let me know....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card