cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C4507R - is there any configuration that decide primary engine?

muchan0124
Level 1
Level 1

We got a catalyst  WS-C4507R-E which has 2 supervisor engine WS-X45-SUP7L-E System(slot 3 and slot 4).

I know that the supervisor engine that boots first, becomes the active supervisor engine. 

But I'd like to boot up the sw with an active supervisor located in slot 3 everytime.

Is there any way to make it possible?

Or do I have to see everytime which one could be an active supervisor?

I'd appreciate your help.

-------------------------------------------------

Does anybody know about the questions below?

1. Does cisco define that it is always the slot 3 which is active when 4507 is rebooted?

2. Is there any configuration the slot 4 could be active every time when 4507 reboots by any chance? 

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help me with my question below?

>If you want always slot 3 to be booted up when the device is reloaded make sure the slot 3 is Active sup.

How can I make sure the slot 3 active sup?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the Active Sup is in slot 3 and standby Sup in slot 4 and you hit the reload button.

The switch boots up with the one which was active earlier.( which is slot 3) . Only when the active sup failover done and slot 4 becomes Active then if you do the reload slot 4 will stay as active and slot 3 will be in hot standby. 

If you want always slot 3 to be booted up when the device is reloaded make sure the slot 3 is Active sup.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't rebooted 4507's a lot, but I recall it is always the slot 3 one that was the active one.

Hi, Philip.

Thank you for your reply.

I rebooted 4507 several times and I agree with your opinion. 

But one thing what I concern is the occasion when emergency like blackout occurs. 

For example, when 2 switches are stacked together, the configuration "primary" or "secondary" is set to each of them to make sure which one reboots after unexpected electric power failure.

So my question is, 

1. Does cisco define that it is always the slot 3 which is active when 4507 is rebooted?

2. Is there any configuration the slot 4 could be active every time when 4507 reboots by any chance? 

I appreciate your help.

I don't know those answers.  I can only share my observations that slot 3 has always been the active one when I have done a reboot.

My guess is that slot 4 would only become active if slot 3 had a defect forcing failover.

Philip,

Thank you for your quick response.

I appreciate it.

My guess is same as you.

I'll keep searching for that. Thanks!

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the Active Sup is in slot 3 and standby Sup in slot 4 and you hit the reload button.

The switch boots up with the one which was active earlier.( which is slot 3) . Only when the active sup failover done and slot 4 becomes Active then if you do the reload slot 4 will stay as active and slot 3 will be in hot standby. 

If you want always slot 3 to be booted up when the device is reloaded make sure the slot 3 is Active sup.

Hi, InayathUlla.

Thank you so much for your reply.You've sold me.

Thanks again,

Sorry, I got confused.

>If you want always slot 3 to be booted up when the device is reloaded make sure the slot 3 is Active sup.

How can I make sure the slot 3 active sup?