cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can cisco's isis implemention be used as routing protocols between PE and C

weifeng.l
Level 1
Level 1

1.Can cisco's isis implemention be used as routing protocols between PE and CE? If yes,How can I config it?

3 Replies 3

mmolina2
Level 1
Level 1

The last word I received from Cisco was "not yet". Until then, RIPv2, EIGRP, OSPF and EIRGP are your choices for dynamic PE-CE protocols.

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

It's going to depend on what you mean by "can it be used between a PE and a CE..." Can it be configured, and IS-IS routes be redistributed into BGP at the PE, and then redistributed back into IS-IS at the PE on the other side of the VPN? Yes. Will the metrics be carried across the VPN correctly, and come out as internals? No.

There is, however, a draft out on this, and we should be supporting it at some point in the near future, I'd think.

Russ.W

using isis as PE-CE routing protocol requires that more than one isis processes running separately.cisco supports multiple instances isis,but every instance is NOT separate.for example,a router can operate as level-2 router only in one instance,but as level-1 router in all other instances. so,i guess,isis can not be used in a vrf environment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card