Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 3550 management vlan

rajeshk200_2
Level 1
Level 1

hai all,

In cat 3550 everybody knows vlan 1 is management vlan . is there any way can we configure other than vlan 1 as a management vlan ?

if your answer is yes , pls let me know how to configure .

Thanx&regards,

Rajesh

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

In old IOS switches (3500xl and 2900xl ) there used to be a command called "management" in the vlan interface mode, to configure that particular vlan as management vlan. I think starting with the 3550s, this command is not there any more, and the switch can be managed from any vlan. So there is no need to specify a particular vlan as management vlan. Unless any body else have a different opinion...I could be wrong..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi,

I think it depends on routing enabled on 3550.

At the moment you enable routing by "ip routing" config command, the 3550 starts to behave like a router and you can manage it through any IP address assigned to any routed interface.

Without IP routing enabled, the 3550 behaves like an L2 switch, i.e. only one IP address per device can be active (assigned to a VLAN iterface which is no-shutdown) and you can manage the device through this IP address.

AFAIK, the "management" command was used on the older switches to help changing management VLAN (assigning an IP address to a different VLAN interface an "no shutdown" on that interface was not always successful, so the "management" command was intoduced). You could even manage the device without IP address assigned (using Cluster Management Protocol) but it was always problematic.

Regards,

Milan

hi,

thanx for ur reply . u mean to say i can use ip address assigned to interface vlan 2(for eg)to have http access for the switch.

regards,

rajesh

Yes, if routing is enabled.

If routing is not enabled, you need to shutdown the int VLAN1 first (it should be done automatically when you issue no shut command on int VLAN2, but sometimes it's necessary to do it manually).

Regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card