Helpful
Replies

CATalyst 3750 explaination.

chialun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

i've some curiousity which as follows:-

1.) 1/0/1 --> so the second will be 2/0/1 .

How to stacked both of the catalyst 3750? just purchase one stackable cable to link both of them and will it automatically configure the 2nd switch from 1/0/1 to 2/0/1 after we plug in the stackable cable into the 2nd switch.

2.) so i put "no mdix auto" on catalyst 3750, what's the meaning and impact?

Thanks a lots.

4 Replies 4

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

The stack cables should have came with your switches, if you bought them brand new you should be able to get them from the reseller for no charge in a perfect world.

From that point the config is simple, however depending on how many switches you have will depend on your stack configuration. I would recommend going to the Doc CD and reading more about the different stacking methods for redundancy, etc.

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Slave 0012.d9d7.ba80 5 Ready

*2 Master 0012.d9d7.bd00 15 Ready

I always like to ensure the master has a higher priority, again I would do some research to tune this to your environment.

m.benhassine
Level 1
Level 1

The 3750 has many interesting features, I recommaned you go through before you connect your switches in a production environment.

Basically, you should provision your stack master with the number of switches and their types. You could provision as well the interfaces with their corresponding configurations, even though the other elements are still not connected yet. This way, you ensure, when you add a provisioned element with the right number, it will take exactly the provisioned configuration you've already set on the master,... as well when changing an element with an other, when moving it,... you will have just to provision its number and then connect it to the stack while is not yet powered on.

Second, it is recommanded to set priority to each element, this way you will have a deterministic configuration and you know in advance which one will be reelected as master in any sitution.

If no provision is set on the stack master, when you connect a switch, it has by default the number "1", in this case the newly added switch will take the lowest switch number available (2).

1.) 1/0/1 --> so the second will be 2/0/1.

And to address its ports you tape: 2/0/1, 2/0/2, 2/0/3,2/0/4,...2/0/24,...

How to stacked both of the catalyst 3750? just purchase one stackable cable to link both of them and will it automatically configure the 2nd switch from 1/0/1 to 2/0/1 after we plug in the stackable cable into the 2nd switch.

For large deployment I recommand the switches to be provisioned manually: Before stacking the switches:

1/ power on the switch that will be the stack master, then wait till it will be in "Ready" state by issuing "show switch detail" command.

2/ Provision the stack master with the desired stack configuration (numbers of switches, types of switches and interfaces configurations).

3/ Reload the stack master.

4/ Provision the second switch with its number and type.

5/ Power off the second switch afetr having saved its configuration.

6/ Stack the second switch to the stack master.

7/ power it on. It will take the provisioned configuration on the stack master.

The advantage of this procedure is that switches could not be renumbered while stacked and running.

Repeat steps 4 to 7 for each new element having been provisioned in the stack master.

Do not forget to save after each step.

2.) so i put "no mdix auto" on catalyst 3750, what's the meaning and impact?

no mdix-auto will disable the advanced feature of abstructing the type of cable (staight throu or cross over). You will downgrade to the standard interfaces specifications. In fact, mdix-auto (activated by default) permits to not to have the "overhead" of distinguishing crossover and straight throu cables, the interfaces will adapt automatically to the type of cable.

An other advantage of this function is that it opimises (combined with other functions) error and recovery procedures in layers 1 and 2.

Mohamed BEN HASSINE

Hi Mohamed, thank you for your great explaination. You solved my 2 questions. I still have some questions on the 1 questions. So if i want to stack both of the Cat3750 , what's the command i should apply on 1st Cat3750 and 2nd Cat3750 interface? How's a stackable cable for both of them? actually i just want to know how to stack both of the cat3750 switch? Thanks.

I understood you have TWO switches and you want to stack then configure them.

For stacking, it is recommanded to stack them in FBC (Full Bandwidth Connection) using two stack cables. For detailed information please see the following document:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_white_paper09186a00801b096a.shtml

There is no command to apply on the stacking ports. For provisioning, three information could be provisioned before you stack the two switches: Number, Type and Ethernet Interfaces (Ethernet, Fast and Giga). For detailed explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_book09186a00805f52b7.html

Regards

Mohamed BEN HASSINE