cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1600 being pushed to the limits

m.mulligan
Level 1
Level 1

I just discovered that we have a Cisco 1600 Series router supporting. 2500 Workstations, and 3 WTS, 3 IIS 4.X , servers. Where as i am quite impressed with the ability of this product I am a bit surprised at the sizing of this device.

My question is:

Is there a comparison page, where by someone could see the different , CPU and Bus architecture, in a table. This would help me make the pitch to upgrade this device. the user are complaing of some bottlenecking. I assume it is because of the processor, not the WIC (T-1).

Thank you in advance.

Mike

3 Replies 3

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Don't forget the old adage, "The right tool for the right job."

There isn't anything wrong with a 1600 supporting a single T-1 connection. The question is, how many total networks is it supporting using which routing protocol(s)... how many ethernet connections are there... what is the current utilization and peak utilzation... etc...

You may have a real need to upgrade this router, for instance, if it is your core router with that many devices, I'd agree. If it is just your internet gateway to a single provider, I would think twice.

Mick.

I probably wasn't to clear on that information.

We have over 2500 Workestation (outbound)

300 Users Inbound to 3 WTS Servers

This is all run through one POP.

I realize that the t-1 is a legal interface for a 1601. My question is how does this compare with regards to:

CPU

I/O

Bus Architecture

Buffers

Mike Mulligan

You were perfectly clear.

I don't think that I was.

You have a 1600 router supporting a single outbound connection.

You have 2500 workstations using it.

You have 3 WTS servers.

What I was trying to say was that you may have a real need to upgrade, but no matter what router you put in there, it will never be able to exceed the rate limit of a T-1.

Check your serial interface statistics. If you're already pushing 1.5Mbps through it (either comming or going), you're done. If you're not pushing roughly that amount of data (you may need to tune the interval from 5 minutes to 30 secs), check your CPU utilization. If you're under 60%, check things like memory utilization, buffer failures, interface errors, etc...

You may find that the 1600 is choking. You may find that it isn't. Without knowing the above information, you can't determine if its wise to swap the box out.

If you're just wanting to do a cost vs PPS comparison, that's more of a marketing question.

Mick.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card