cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1721 to Vanguard 320 FR

rshendrix
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any experience establishing a frame relay link between a Cisco 1721 and a Motorola Vanguard 320? The link is turned up and is active when doing a show frame-relay pvc command. The trouble is that I cannot ping any devices on the Vanguard 320 end. I have a second frame relay link working just fine on the same router with another Cisco router on the other end.

Any help greatly appreciated....

4 Replies 4

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

The default frame relay encapsulation on a PVC in a Cisco router is Cisco's proprietary encapsulation. To work with other vendors, use the command "encapsulation frame-relay ietf" on the physical interface or the sub-interface. If you have a frame relay interface that has PVCs to both Cisco and non-Cisco end points, and you are not using sub-interfaces, use static map statements to configure the encapsulation on a per-PVC basis:

frame-relay map ip (ip address 1) (dlci 1) broadcast ietf

frame-relay map ip (ip address 2) (dlci 2) broadcast cisco

HTH

Mark

mwaruszyla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I saw the reply you got to this message. Did it work? I'm having the same problem, Tac says upgrade the Motorola but I'd love to hear of a solution involving the 1721.

Thanks

I never got my frame relay link up and functioning. I did try what was suggested but it never worked for me. Never had much luck convincing the party on the Motorola end to get interested in helping me solve the problem as I feel it was totally on their end.

Sorry for no useful information.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Since you have the pvc status as active, I do assume, your encapsulations are set to IETF and not Cisco. Now can you ping the Vanguard 320 serial interface ip address ?

You have quoted that "The trouble is that I cannot ping any devices on the Vanguard 320 end." By this do you mean that you cannot ping from the Cisco router to the devices behind the Vanguard router ? If yes, this could be a routing issue. You need to have a route on the Cisco router, telling it, how to reach devices behind the Vanguard router. It could also be due to default gateway issues on the devices behind the Vanguard router.

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus