cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Packet Tracer 7.3.0 for Mac- Netacad download- Mac version El Capitan-Error message

Initially, I was trying to discover a way to get Packet Tracer on my macbook pro, several suggesting to use Wine. After further research, I realized that Netacad website offers a Mac version of Cisco Packet tracer, but I am having issues upon opening the program and could not find a thread having this discussion. I have tried re-installing several times. I'm wondering if updating my Mac OS to Catalina would resolve my issue.

Please note I am running Mac OS El Capitan version 10.11.6. Macbook pro.

Error message:

Cisco Packet Tracer cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Cisco Packet Tracer works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

Thank you,

SG

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Check with the developer to make sure Cisco Packet Tracer works with this version of OS X

- Have you verified this ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I tried to find a contact number for Netacad on their website, it seems like there is no “contact us” feature. 

thowendt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm currently using Mac Mojave 10.14.6 and got the same Error message.

I found a tricky solution:

There seems to be some issues with access rights of the dylib libraries in the Framework folder

/Applications/Cisco Packet Tracer/Cisco Packet Tracer.app/Contents/Frameworks

I had no read rights (You can see this by clicking right on that file and click Information). Then I opened up a terminal and logged in as an administrator and went to the folder above with

> cd /Applications/Cisco Packet Tracer/Cisco Packet Tracer.app/Contents/Frameworks

After typing the following command to get read rights.

> sudo chmod -v o+r *dylib

This command gives read right on these libraries to everyone (the last r in the access rights).

You can see this by typing

> ls -l *dylib

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1739056 May 13 23:55 libcrypto.1.0.0.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1739056 May 13 23:55 libcrypto.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 27771072 May 13 23:55 libicudata.64.2.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 27771072 May 13 23:55 libicudata.64.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 27771072 May 13 23:55 libicudata.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 2617024 May 13 23:55 libicui18n.64.2.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 2617024 May 13 23:55 libicui18n.64.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 2617024 May 13 23:55 libicui18n.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1608992 May 13 23:55 libicuuc.64.2.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1608992 May 13 23:55 libicuuc.64.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1608976 May 13 23:55 libicuuc.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 432080 May 13 23:55 libssl.1.0.0.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 432080 May 13 23:55 libssl.dylib

I'm so very sorry it is very tricky. Maybe it will help somebody

thowendt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Problem solved:

For security reasons I'm using two different accounts on my mac. One user with administrator rights and one without administrator rights. Usually I'm working with the accout without administrator rights. That's the problem!

Most people have only one acount only on their mac's. Thus, this accout have administator rights actually and these people doesn't face the problem described.

Solution: Run Cisco Packet Tracer 7.3.0 from an accout with administrator rights. (It's a checkmark in System Preferences/Users & Groups)

So what you're saying is, Cisco WANTS us to violate best practices by doing routine tasks (like running PT) while in Administrator mode. Gotcha.

(C'mon Cisco - fix that.)

jnetworx
Level 1
Level 1

you saved me from some serious frustration!